I Forge Iron

Is there a tutorial for nippers to tongs?

Ser Menalak

Hello,

I have some nippers I have no use for and I want them to become tongs. I saw the $2 nippers to tongs post but I don't see instructions, just the results. The nippers are very thin on the end as they are meant to snip, so how can I get enough material from this thin chisel like end in order to form a shape to hold onto stock? If anyone knows of a tutorial or could give some instructions how to do this that would be great. I also am not sure I can take the rivet out of one pair as it is completely flush on both ends so I don't know how I would get it back in effectively.  I figured doing this would be an easier introductory tong project rather than going full bore into making tongs from scratch. I would like to make tongs that can hold square stock. Thanks for the help. 

First of all if you remove a rivet you expect to have to replace it with a different one.

Me I remove the rivet, heat the end and flatten out---some forms it helps by starting to flatten over the anvil form to get the sharp bend eased out. Get the ends close to what you want and then put in a properly sized bolt as a temporary rivet and heat bothbits and form then to the size stock you want to hold---you want he inside of the bits parallel at the distance to hold the sq stock. Flip and adjust the handles if necessary. Normalize, grind on the tips if they are too sharp for your taste and rivet.

As stock comes in graduated sizes you will want tongs in graduated sizes: 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" are good starters

Tongs don't have to be a major project. A nice piece of 1/4" x 3/4 or 1" can be heated and twisted, then shaped to form the work end, then you can draw down the reigns after the hinge area and drill for your rivet. Search "twist tongs" for a more detailed explanation, but I've made rough and ready tongs this way in a pinch. Even simpler if you have a welder.

Pretty much as basic as you can get- use the corner of a file and make a cut in both nipper ends to form a square hole, mebbee 3/8" or so, so you can hold 3/8 and 1/2" stock, both square and round No cutting and replacing rivets or even forging to get a usable set of tongs. You might need to soften the steel if it's too hard to file- get it hot to ~ a bright red, and just let it cool. Don't quench!

Steve