I Forge Iron

Need help identifying anvil

Please enlighten me :)

What do you mean with ball bearing test? See how high it bounces back or something?

How high should it go?

I only spoke to this man on the Phone yet, he let me hear the anvil and it has a nice ring to it.

Soon i will go see the anvil itself, but i was wondering about the brand. It looks like a circle (maybe even snake eating own tail?) with a big S and a small z through the S.

Posted · Hidden August 6, 2014 - multipost
Hidden August 6, 2014 - multipost

The higher the ball bounces back to the original height, the harder the face will be.  Easy way to sort out what is a hard face anvil and one that is a cast iron doorstop.  Just make sure you use a hardened ball, like a ball from a ball bearing.

I have seen this mark once before on an anvil in Germany, but do not know the name of the maker. I attached a picture, it was an Austrian pattern anvil. I believe the mark is a "Z" in the center of a larger "S", in the circle.

They are both cast anvils, probably cast steel. I suspect they were not made in Germany, probably Austria or Czech Republic. Good luck!

post-19449-0-24616700-1407373596_thumb.j