I Forge Iron

English as she is spoke or writ

Quite often, I'm questioned here as to whether it is in fact English that we Australians speak. We do really. It's the isolation; our language has evolved differently.... a bit like how come our indigeneous rabbits evolved into animals with really long tails and bound around on there back legs :wink: What we might consider to be common usage has a lot of other English speakers scratching their heads. The 'ocky strap' instance immediately springs to mind.

Anyway, what I thought might be of interest is a collection of common terms, phrases or cliches (I hate that word it's such an annoying cliche) that trace their roots to Blacksmithing. Forging ahead or Forging a link are obvious.

This is common ground I reckon and sidesteps the language barriers. So how about it, strike while the iron's hot and make an addition :)

Back in the days of the Roman Empire, the famous Emperor Nero instituted a new game. The players would take those little disks you set your glass on in order to protect the furniture, and see who could get the most distance rolling them across the floor. Back in those days, the disks were made of iron, and they would bet on whose disk would roll the farthest. They called them ferrous wheels. They are first roller coasters.

Ferrous wheel for the iron rim wearing surface on the outside of the wooden wheel.

It just shows what a wonderful medium the English language is! I doubt that any other language has so many opportunities for humorously misconstruing what was originally said nor so many ways of saying the same thing. It can be so personalized that its almost as if each person has his own dialect. I have been "smitten" by the clever replies.

Anvillain

• 3 weeks later...

I found an old grindstone in the dirt floor of my grandads old shed the other day. It was worn down to about 13" diameter. I guess a lot of neighbors that came by must have had an "axe to grind"

Anvillain

According to the "born loser" the future isn't what it used to be!

Here that'd be a RHG... He gave it a red hot go. Usually used to describe a valiant but unsuccessful attempt at something. As you've probably noticed, down here it could mean a couple of things. As is often the case the context is paramount in understanding strine. Red hot could describe an exclaimation that's just a bit too unbelievable. He was 8' tall....that's a bit red hot. Or it could be used to describe something good, She was red hot....a prime example of the female form

I wonder why none of the above has any reference to something either red or hot.

She might be a little too red hot...too hot to handle