I Forge Iron

Treadle hammer build(pictures tomorrow)

No the treadle hammer is not a triphammer light. It has a very different job space excelling in work like punching, veining,etc---work where you want a single solid precise hits---often using tooling on the piece.

You can do things like drawing on it and perhaps better than by using a hand hammer but the simpliest well designed triphammer would blow those efforts out of the water!

Let me also say that I own a triphammer and a screw press and will be building a treadle hammer---I have the baseplate and the anvil scrounged already for it!

ApprenticeMan,

Nice job on the treadle hammer!

I just bought Clay Spencer's treadle hammer plans and I have been comparing them to other designs on the Internet. Your design does not seem to incorporate a dampening system to minimize shock to the operator's leg. Does this seem to be a problem? Did you look at other options before you chose this particular design?

Thomas,

you said: "the simplest well designed trip hammer would blow those efforts out of the water!" and that you own a trip hammer. What do you think about the little rusty trip hammers designed by the Appalachian Blacksmiths?

Regards,

Chad

ApprenticeMan,
Nice job on the treadle hammer!
I just bought Clay Spencer's treadle hammer plans and I have been comparing them to other designs on the Internet. Your design does not seem to incorporate a dampening system to minimize shock to the operator's leg. Does this seem to be a problem? Did you look at other options before you chose this particular design?
Chad

Thanks Chad! A funny thing happened, that i did not intend, but the lower pivot is made from 1/2 inch square which has enough spring in it to dampen the pressure and shock on your leg. Plus it also helps to get the ram into a bouncing motion very easy. Sort of like bouncing a basketball with your foot. Thomas is very right, most ANY trip hammer will make a treadle look like a squeeky toy. But when you just have a hand hammer it is MOST excellent. A tire hammer or the rusty style is next on the list.