I Forge Iron

Three more for the Ohio Classic Knife Show

kbaknife

Here are three more knives I'll be taking to the Ohio Classic Knife Show next week.
First is a California Buckeye Burl Personal Carry that I have recently named "The Patrolman". I've sold quite a few of these in the past but I just recently had one of our Southern Border Patrol Officers order one in Blackwood, and I thought this name fit.
Anyway, this is Stabilized California Buckeye Burl with hotblued Take-down fittings of Mild steel, and a multiple quenched and etched 5160 blade.
Overall length of this is 10 1/4" with a 5 1/2" blade.

Photo 1

Secondly is a Desert Ironwood Integral, in a Take-down assembly with hot-blued mild steel fittings. The W1 Integral blade was forged from 7/8" W1 and clay backed for some "Psycho Hamon"!
I see quite a few Integrals lately in both slab handles and hidden tang, but, as far as I know, I haven't seen any in Take-down - other than myself.
Overall 10 1/8" with a 5 3/4" blade to the hotblued spacer.

PHoto 2

Last is a Russian Olive Burl Hunter with stainless Take-down fittings and a multiple quenched and deeply etched 5160 blade.
This was my first opportunity to use Russian Olive Burl, but you can bet I'll be using more in the future, Super dense and a lot of figure.
This should be a really 'hard-use hunter'!
Overall length of 10 1/4" with a 5 3/8" blade.

Photo 3

3832.attach

3833.attach

3834.attach

Terrible. I wouldn't show those in public to anyone!!
Send them to my house and I will dispose of them quietly for you:D

I llike you style. reminds me of some of the old Randall knives. Very functional and beautifully made! thanks for sharing

Nice work Karl, you have a distinctive style. Hope you sell them!
When you say 'Take-down', you mean the handle and all the fittings unscrew from the hilt? I was wondering how the handle is fitted to the blade when I first looked (no rivets or pins), now I think I can see a hint of a dome nut at the end.

Regards,
Makoz

Nice work Karl, you have a distinctive style. Hope you sell them!
When you say 'Take-down', you mean the handle and all the fittings unscrew from the hilt? I was wondering how the handle is fitted to the blade when I first looked (no rivets or pins), now I think I can see a hint of a dome nut at the end.

Regards,
Makoz

Here, check this out: Individually Handcrafted Knives for the Outdoor Enthusiast and don't forget that all of these "thumbnails" enlarge when clicked.
Also, here are a few examples:

3883.attach

3884.attach

3885.attach

3886.attach

Hi Karl,
Thanks for showing photos of the pieces and how it goes together, great stuff! They really are good looking knives.
I take it you forge the tang, that piece that goes through the handle, then shape it somehow before putting a thread on it? Maybe that's trade secret!;) I've made draw knives before and welded a threaded portion which bolted the handles onto the tang.
And just another question, if I can, that last knife with the sunken "nut" in the insert...how do you screw it on, get a tool in there?!!:confused:

Regards,

Yes, I forge the tang, draw it down and thread it.
On the last one, it's difficult to see, but the pommel nut IS slotted! - for a screwdriver, which I also make to fit the slot. That slot is running vertically and you just can't see it because of the photo angle.
Here's a better one:
black-1.jpg
maplehunter7-2.jpg