I Forge Iron

Is this as nuts as it sounds?

There is an ad on Ebay saying with this setup you can "Gold (1948 f), Silver (1763 f) and (2800 f) Black Sands can be melted/smelted in a Microwave Oven with the Fireclay Assay Crucible provided". I am no expert but trying to melt any metal in a microwave sounds like a you really want to use that home owner's insurance you have been paying on for so long. 

This is the full add text.

A Unique Combo Torch and Microwave Furnace/Kiln. Only 1 Piece Refractory Ceramic Fiber with a lid. No multiple pieces to assemble and not only for use in a Microwave. Refine/Melt Gold and Silver with Fluxes or Smelt Gold and Silver Ores and Placer Black Sand Concentrates. Includes a Crucible filled with Borax Flux. How to Use the Cyclone Furnace/Kiln Gold, Silver and Black Sands can be melted/smelted in a Microwave Oven with the Fireclay Assay Crucible provided. High temperature  metals such as the Platinum Group Metals can only be melted/smelted using a torch and an appropriate fuel. Use the Furnace/Kiln in the Torch Mode with an appropriate fused silica crucible - ie WESCO 2H or 3H, etc. This is the uniqueness of this Torch/MW Furnace/Kiln - versatility!  Refer to the list of metal melting temperatures provided with the Tips on Setup & Operation of the Furnace/Kiln CD. 

post-35414-0-46384700-1402141451_thumb.j

To be honest Thomas I have not. My knee jerk reaction was that trying to bring anything up to at least 1700 degree F in a microwave sounded crazy. I have been told since this posting that people on backyard casting have done something like this and survived so maybe I am not so smart as I thought i was.