I Forge Iron

I know coal is sometimes hard to find in va, so I did some research.  If your close to the northern Shenandoah valley Henrys coal yard in Strasburg sells bulk Bituminous coal in nut or stoker size.

As of 6/4 at 14:00 the price was $310 a ton and very reasonable delivery.  I hope this helps someone and if anyone knows of other places, please post them.

Josh

Now is it good blacksmithing coal?  Nothing you have posted says it's worth a hoot for forging!

Things like sulfur content, ash content, coking button, if it's been oiled, etc are needed to be known.

Why we suggest a person picks up a sample---say a 5 gallon bucket full and tries it before buying a ton and ending up using it to gravel their driveway...

You're right.  Nothing I posted said it was worth a hoot for forging.  That's because I don't know if it is or not.  Many people I have talked to complain that it is hard to get coal for any pupose in my area, so when I stumbled on to this bit of info I figured I would share.  They also carry anthracite in bags.  I'm currently busy getting a gas forge running and have no place to put coal anyway, just thought someone could use the info.

• 1 month later...