I Forge Iron

What to do with my anvil

Recently aquired a 102 pound Soderfors Sweden anvil. The horn has a lot of hammer marks in it and the face looks like someone welded something on it, there are welding spaulds on it. My question, will it affect the value or the anvil itself if I were to polish the horn and face with a fine flap wheel? I just want to clean it up and make it smoother.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Many thanks,

Jeff in Hagerstown

post-54571-0-44005100-1401639729_thumb.j

Spend 8 to 10 hours beating hot metal on the face and horn (forging). This will do two things, You will get to know the anvil, and it will polish the face without doing any damage to the anvil or removing any of the metal from the anvil.  

Now look at the anvil face and horn again. Then spend another 8-10 hours of hammer time before you decide to do something that may not be able to be undone.

It is your anvil and your choice to make any modifications your want. 

If you're looking to make a quick sale, a fine-grit flap wheel will brighten it up and take off some of the gunk.  Then splash it with a light oil to prevent rust while you take photos.  Don't do anything major to it.  It looks like it's in top condition as-is.