I Forge Iron

My Fisher Anvil - date?

Can you fellas tell me more about my FIsher Anvil - date?  It weighs 200 lbs, cast with tool steel top in great condition.  It has three raised I (or Roman Numeral III on the base.  I got it on a trade for one of my custom knives.  

anvil_zps42a9199f.jpg

IMG_0237_zpse1821662.jpg

IMG_0236_zps0c60f706.jpg

Nice anvil in terrific shape.  I am guessing the anvil was made in the 1920's.  Many of that style were made without a date then.  There is no information why they did them this way.

You will have a lot of fellow smiths drooling over that anvil.  Take care of it, keep "beaters" away, and it will last many more generations.  

Nice anvil in terrific shape.  I am guessing the anvil was made in the 1920's.  Many of that style were made without a date then.  There is no information why they did them this way.

You will have a lot of fellow smiths drooling over that anvil.  Take care of it, keep "beaters" away, and it will last many more generations.  

Many thanks for the quick response - I'm thrilled with my score

"My Fisher anvil - date?"

A common misconception that many of us have tried.  You show a cute girl your anvil and she'll be so impressed that she'll go out on a date with you immediately.  In fact, the opposite tends to be true......but when it does work, you've found a keeper. :D

"My Fisher anvil - date?"

A common misconception that many of us have tried.  You show a cute girl your anvil and she'll be so impressed that she'll go out on a date with you immediately.  In fact, the opposite tends to be true......but when it does work, you've found a keeper. :D

Wish I'd known this 40 years ago - I've been married to a keeper for that long so I guess I got lucky.....

I'm just an old stock removal knifemaker that wants to do a little hand forging along the way.

Welcome aboard, TK! Hope to see you post some of your knives in the knife section. Once you get bit by the forge bug, it can take you by storm. I started out hobby stock removal, and now enjoy "trying" to forge one out, as well as just general forging projects. Might put your location in your profile, there may be others in your area you can get with. There is a lot of great folks and information here.

I was working as an apprentice to a swordmaker when he and his wife  introduced me to the lady that became mine, 30 years in August and counting,  I took her to the Knifemaker's guild show in Kansas City before I proposed to make sure she was OK with the "knife making world".  Within the first hour she was hunting me down to drag me across the floor to see specific blades she thought were very nicely done---she was right too!  Well worth the extra effort to find and *keep* a "keeper!

Welcome aboard, TK! Hope to see you post some of your knives in the knife section. Once you get bit by the forge bug, it can take you by storm. I started out hobby stock removal, and now enjoy "trying" to forge one out, as well as just general forging projects. Might put your location in your profile, there may be others in your area you can get with. There is a lot of great folks and information here.

Thanks Mitch - I did update my signature to reflect my location......I'm hoping to get a little guidance on how to correctly hand forge.  I make a lot of bowies out of W-2 and 1095 - I'm hoping to get even more hamon activity with the aid of some forging.  Don Hanson III hamons are some of my favorites. 

Here's a few stock removal knives I recently sold:  

Improved_zpsf4f27a94.jpg

Chute-by-Coop_zpsf805a574.jpg

Utility_zps525de15c.jpg

Bastion-Dagger_zps11c31a5b.jpg

Very crisp anvil nice score! Your knives are great also. Do you mind me asking what size wheel you used for those last two blades? Or is it possibly milled? They have a unique grind, I haven't seen any quite like it. Thanks for sharing btw!

Very crisp anvil nice score! Your knives are great also. Do you mind me asking what size wheel you used for those last two blades? Or is it possibly milled? They have a unique grind, I haven't seen any quite like it. Thanks for sharing btw!

The last two knives were hollow ground on a 2" wheel - the dagger has a convex tip to prevent breakage and was wicked tough to grind (as all daggers go - you JS/MS out there already know this I'm sure). The dagger will be featured in Knives Illustrated sometime this summer.  

Both the knives and photo's are very nicely done! Love the tapered tang, just as it sould be. Two of the things I always
look for in a knife, a hook for pinkey to grip and to be a good chopper if needed, and a good guard / bolster to protect your hand. Nice knives!