I Forge Iron

Hello everyone. newb from Virginia Beach

Just found this site and figured id sign up.  Been a Navy welder for 18 years now but have played with blacksmithing every now and then when i get the chance.  I have slowly been building up my tools to use. One thing i like to do is refurbish old equipment and tools to use. My anvil is an 1820s Hermatage Mousehole that i found. It needs some repait to the hardface but as soon as i get the time i will get this done. im about half way done on building myself a propane forge to get myself going. majority of what i have done is roses i have made the wife and have been useing a rosebud torch to heat my metal. I have made a few scrap metal choppers and other welded art figures as well.  Ive got a pile of rail spikes screaming at me to do something with but im waiting to get my forge completed first. Hope to get more projects done as time lets me and i hope to learn more from this sie as well.

David

post-54334-0-08441600-1400069651_thumb.j  post-54334-0-84837500-1400069679_thumb.j

Like the rose. That shade of green....is it copper instead of iron? Can't quite tell from the pic.

Also, Little Creek? Or down the road at Norfolk?

it got the green from the galvanization i had to clean off prior to working the metal.  While in a well ventilated area i will say.  it was the only sheet metal i had at the time.

PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR!!! DON'T USE GALVANIZED ANYTHING!!!

A very well known friend of the Blacksmith World, decided he would. He's gone!! R.I.P.

Welcome to our world. The only rule that I think is important, Take care of YOURSELF!!!

Flowers are always a pleaser. There are many colours available, that are used in the pottery business. They go on when hot.

Sometimes the Lady Blacksmith's put ONE drop of perfume on a flower. Only ONE!!

Neil

Welcome aboard Nomad guy, glad to have you. Put your general location in the header and you'll be surprised at how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

You've been a welder long enough we shouldn't have to tell you about being  really careful with galvy and heat.

How about a close up pic of the face on that anvil. Lots of guys think an anvil needs a pristine face but that's just not so. Lots of guys have ruined too many anvils trying to "restore" them. From the pic it looks fine to me, the edges don't look very chipped even. A little sway in the face is a bonus, not damage.

Please,do a little wire brushing, no grinding before you post some close up pics taken under oblique light so we can see what's what. Shoot pics of the sides too so we can see how much faceplate you have to work with. A shot of the bottom is good to help ID the maker. Please let us help evaluate that ladies condition before you do something permanent to her.

This is your anvil so you can of course do as you wish with it but we really like to see them in good condition rather than damaged by good intentions. Seriously, most old anvils are perfectly good tools, nicks, dings and all, needing no more "restoration" than a little wire brushing and put to work. Hammering hot iron/steel will clean up a face better than most believe till they've done it.

Frosty The Lucky.