I Forge Iron

sign for a tattoo/art studio

aparofan

So I was asked to make a lighted sign for a local tattoo studio. They wanted elements of tattooing incorporated into the sign. Everyone that works there also paints so I had an idea of what I needed to do. I took the owner a 13"x59" piece of 16 gauge sheet metal and told him to draw the letters he wanted plasma cut so I could back it with colored sign acrylic. What he brought me was awesome but crazy hard to cut out by hand. I then built the frame and forged the rivets to hold the sign together. Next I did all the scroll work to the point to add the other elements. The owner told me he could order tattoo machine frames to add but it seemed a shame to ruin functioning machines so I fabricated 3 of them. I also forged a paint brush and added a painters palette. For the finish I used gloss black for the center, liquid leaf airbrushed for the frame and forest green highlights to give it the look of patina. Still have to add the sign acrylic and lights but you get the idea. Name of the shop is Artistic Pursuits, wife says it's kind of hard to read but is easier with the red acrylic behind it. This one has been a fun one!

post-22499-0-07861400-1399965230_thumb.j

post-22499-0-80207500-1399965259_thumb.j

post-22499-0-52696700-1399965293_thumb.j

Greetings AP,

It is great when you get a fun job and can add elements that you do not normally do.   I have done several weird request including making a yard art planter out of a Porsche Boxer front fender..  Very nice design and the sign will draw in many customers..  Heck I might consider a tat on this ol frame..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

That sounds like  fun project. I love having clear instructions but a free hand fulfilling them. The background and lighting will make it come to life no doubt.

Well done indeed.

Frosty The Lucky.