I Forge Iron

Edwards Shear NO. 3

flyingiron

What it's worth of course depends on condition and LOCATION.  

If you are selling it as an antique the patina is part of it.  If you are selling it as a tool then cleaning it up helps.  NOTE however that I myself are very leery about newly painted old tools as many times that has been used to try to hide cracks or other damage.  The cheap chop saws and band-saws  has replaced most big shears here in the USA.  I don't know about where you are at.  Shipping is another major factor and if you are not close to a population center the price goes down as they have to figure in paying to get it.

Taking it to a blacksmith Conference is another method; here in the USA there is the IBA conference the first weekend in June and of course the heavy hitter is Quad-State Blacksmiths Round-Up in late September.  There are other conferences scattered across the USA.

I recently sold a No. 5 for $275.   It was in excelent condition with tight unworn piviots and a sharp  undamaged blade. 

FYI  this tool must be anchored to the floor to function properly.  There must be space in front for the shear lever to swing  freely.  Also, since the shear is bolted down in place there must be clearance on either side for the lengts of bar to be placed in position for cutting.  This means that if it you intend to place the shear inside your shop it will require substantial dedicated space. 

I am on the road on business and do not have any pics with me but will post some Thursday or Friday.  has 7" jaws.  Saw where a guy put it on rollers and could roll it up to a hold down in the wall when he wanted to use it.  A good space saver.

I am on the road on business and do not have any pics with me but will post some Thursday or Friday.  has 7" jaws.  Saw where a guy put it on rollers and could roll it up to a hold down in the wall when he wanted to use it.  A good space saver.

Then you will need to have clear wall space which is in short supply in most of the shops that I am familiar with  (Non existent in mine) .  I find that  a good reinforcing bar cutter is much more compact and  portable, and is a more covenient choice, if you don't need the wide cut jaws .

Forge ahead bravely.