I Forge Iron

Make punches and drifts using a Prybar?

Hello

I'm just starting out and got an old 8 foot x 1 1/4 inch prybar. Obviously it's a tough sort of steel, but I wondering if it would be good to make punches or drifts out of? I have read that 5160 is good for this, but I'm having a hard time finding coil springs.

Thanks

Hardy and top tools, for sure, hot cut, butcher, set and flater, then veries fullers and dies
As to springs, go to a shop that dose alighnments. When i worked as a mechanic, we replaced a lot of springs that had sagged. 4x4/off road shops also are a good place to look, torsion bars, coil springs, leafe springs, sway bars and stering linkages

Lots of stuff you can make with one of those babies.  

Just remember to plan your projects to the scale of the raw material you're working.  It's not sensible to make a sewing needle out of a truck's axle when a piece of coat hanger wire would be more than enough.  Drawing down heavy stock takes a lot of time, energy and fuel; aside from the cost of all that, you have to consider the increase in frustration and aggravation that comes with such a project.

Lots of stuff you can make with one of those babies.  

Just remember to plan your projects to the scale of the raw material you're working.  It's not sensible to make a sewing needle out of a truck's axle when a piece of coat hanger wire would be more than enough.  Drawing down heavy stock takes a lot of time, energy and fuel; aside from the cost of all that, you have to consider the increase in frustration and aggravation that comes with such a project.

I agree

I"m just learning and I have a Striker (24 year old son) and a Striking anvil (of sorts, 260 pound piece of steel) in addition to my anvil, so it would be easier than if I was doing it just by myself. My main interest is in making the tools to make ?Tomahawks, Hatchets and smallish knives right now.

Thanks