I Forge Iron

KastOLite 23...

I was given about ten to fifteen pounds of Kastolite 23 LI Plus. Everything I can find on here referencing Kastolite is Kastolite 30. Is there anything I could do to make it worth using in a gas forge?

Google search for "Kastolite 23", second page down is English. http://supplies.foundryservice.com/Asset/Kastolite-23-LI-Data.pdf

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Frosty. I did Google it before I posted. With it being rated at too low for the little gasser I'm getting together, I'm not sure I can use it at all. If I can't find some way to make it useful to me, I need to find someone to pass it on to who can use it.

My pleasure, I'm always looking for something better myself. Being as the Kastolite is an insulating refractory it'd work just fine as a backing to the fire surface in the forge. Cast the fire contact surface say 3/4" thick and then back it with the Kastolite. This is a common practice in furnaces kilns and forges in commercial uses. I've been doing it for years, not perfect for small units but every little bit helps.

Frosty The Lucky.

How about using it as rigidizer for my kaowool? And now I am still looking for something to use for my fire contact surface.

Good question I don't know. when I first started messing with Kaowool I used kaolin clay in a thin slip as a rigidizer and it worked pretty well. What I hadn't anticipated is the kaolin wasn't much effected by flux unless it was just gooped on.

The Kastolite would have to work better than a ceramic that requires firing to achieve much strength. Well, it'd stiffen things up better anyway.

Please let us know how it works if you give it a try.

Frosty The Lucky.