I Forge Iron

champion forge questions.

Valth

Hi I'm new here and I've been doing a lot of research on getting started blacksmithing. I've got minimal resources in this area on blacksmithing or forging. I recently came across this and would like some opinions on this forge, price, abd what should I look for when going to check them out? If there is a introduction section I'll introduce myself, my name is Alex I live in west Texas, thanks for all the help,u can't wait to get started. http://odessa.craigslist.org/grd/4398785351.html

Considering you can do great work in a hole in the ground with a hair dryer as a blower I think that's over priced by a bit more than a factor of 3.

As far as resources go your local public library should be able to get you most any blacksmithing book in the english language through Inter Library Loan.  I would suggest picking up a copy of "The Complete Modern Blacksmith"  and see how to make or scrounge everything you need.

Thank you for the reply, I ordered me a few books that being one of them. I thought about using a wheelbarrow but I wasn't sure if the metal was safe to use, I've been reading about the metal fumes and what not.it'll be used outside, but I have two children so I wasn't too be safe doing this hobby you know? I watched one guy forge some cool things in a wheelbarrow, any plans on a wheelbarrow forge in here?I haven't had much time to really look on the site yet

Brake drum. Preferably a used one. LIke from the rear of a Pickup Truck. One from a semi tractor would also work but they are 16.5-17" ID so a little big. 

Go to a store that replaces brakes or a salvage yard. The OLD books will tell you they are free............think about that for a minute and you will understand that today, an old worn-out truck drum is anywhere from 5.00 to 30.00 

ask how I know.................

you set that on bricks if you can't build a stand. A piece of heavy steel in the bottom with a number of small holes for the nozzle. Say five of them a 1/4 inch or so.

2" pipe can be welded or even bolted to the bottom of that. A "T" fitting is nice to hang below that. Air in the side and out the top. A  threaded cap on the bottom port is your ash dump.

Black iron is best.

Yes , a hair dryer works ok for air flow or build something from an old heater motor/ fan from a school bus/car etc.

That is a nice original portable forge. They are worth about 150.00 give or take. Seen them for much less than that.......

They were originally painted red, as you can see. I have one like that and it works great for small stuff. Model 140 Eureka by Champion Blower & Forge

Welcome aboard Alex, glad to have you. Put your general location in the header and you'll find Texas has a pretty active blacksmithing community, lots within visiting distance. Get yourself hooked up with the organization close to you, you'll learn more an hour with an experienced smith than you will in days, weeks, sometimes months on your own.

You've fallen into a common trap for the newcomer, you think you need the RIGHT tool to do the work. Not true, all yu need is something to hold the fire, a hole in the ground, a wooden table with a few inches of dirt as heat shield, a hair drier or a paper bag and piece of pipe will deliver enough air. I've had a darned successful field expedient forge and used a prevailing wind, some pipe and sheet tin to deliver a strong air blast.

While nice looking that forge is WAY over priced, it's not like you live somewhere there aren't any tools say . . . Alaska. Look up the subject TPAAT on IFI, the method works for most anything you want, not just anvils.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you for all the answers, I have been considering the brake drum to, but o was concerned about the pipe on the bottom cause I didn't know about the type of metal for the connections if there were safe ones to use cause I heard the galvanized stuff was a no no

Welcome aboard Alex, glad to have you. Put your general location in the header and you'll find Texas has a pretty active blacksmithing community, lots within visiting distance. Get yourself hooked up with the organization close to you, you'll learn more an hour with an experienced smith than you will in days, weeks, sometimes months on your own.

You've fallen into a common trap for the newcomer, you think you need the RIGHT tool to do the work. Not true, all yu need is something to hold the fire, a hole in the ground, a wooden table with a few inches of dirt as heat shield, a hair drier or a paper bag and piece of pipe will deliver enough air. I've had a darned successful field expedient forge and used a prevailing wind, some pipe and sheet tin to deliver a strong air blast.

While nice looking that forge is WAY over priced, it's not like you live somewhere there aren't any tools say . . . Alaska. Look up the subject TPAAT on IFI, the method works for most anything you want, not just anvils.

Frosty The Lucky.

thank you, I'm doing it at my pops house so I didn't wanna tear up his yard with one in the ground, and odessa it's desert lol grass is all dead don't want to start a fire as easy. I work 14hr days. It's hard to go to meet ups and stuff for me personally. I would love to, I'm going to Dallas soon to the heritage center to take a2 day class. I got a piece of I beam today for free touse as an anvil.I'll check out the Texas section when I'm at home and not in the phone ha

Forget the I beam, it'll make a truly lousy anvil, more BANG than buck. I understand long hours and high fire hazard. Keep your eyes open for an old BBQ, a square Weber is good. You can ram a layer of damp adobe into the bottom to help protect it from the fire and shape it as you like. A hair drier or similar makes the air, side or bottom blast, either one works well. Keep the lid on it so you can keep the fire where you want it when you're finished.

Oh yeah, keep the grill so if anyone complains you can toss a couple brauts on if the FD or code enforcement shows up.

Just don't get locked into the "right tool only" mindset, the tools don't do a thing, they're only highly refined dirt. It's our brains and hands that do the work.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey thanks for the tips, I actually have an old grill, I've been considering using that just needs a new base. Also I didn't mean to come off as one of those guys that just wants to buy all his equipment,I was just looking for some answers, I'm very excited to go and make my own tools the way I want. I've always loved watching people work at this craft even as a young kid it's something I've always wanted to do, just need some guidance now is all.I can't wait to explore this craft and join the ifi family. Maybe take this further than a hobby only time will tell I'm just ready to enjoy being part of this world of shaping with my own hands, and making something purely my own.

I'm glad to be of help where I can. Sorry I got off on my own thing, we hear newcomers with some pretty hard set ideas of what they must have. I was mainly trying to reaffirm the nothing special needed concept, I get carried away. <grin>

Don't look now, you've ALREADY joined the IFI family! <GASP!!> As an example, I imagine a huge % of folk do this mostly as a hobby but have hopes of someday making a buck, even a living at it. You like making things with your . . . HANDS! Oh MY not ANOTHER ONE!!

We all need guidance, I mean really, if someone had just told me not to stand THERE when I was cutting that tree. <grin> Tips, tricks, problem solving, locating things, getting rid of things, marketing, buildings, etc. etc. is why we're here. WE all talk about whatever, toss out wild sometimes pretty stupid ideas and a little sifting and refining and good things come about.

You're going to fit right in.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well i am pretty good with my hand eye coordination, im proficient in martial arts, nunchaku, bass player for 12 years, i work at a lube supercenter in town(hot cars and big rigs and tight spots for my large hands lol), juggling, art school allthroughout school. I love showing off my hand skills lol so hopefully i can add one more skill to my resume. Oh yea im pretty wierd to, you may have noticed.