I Forge Iron

Hello, from Southern Illinois

mperrine

HI,

Im Matt from around Southern Illinois.  Just trying to get started in Blacksmithing as a hobby. I haven't actually made anything yet. 

This is the equipment that Ive been collecting for a few months to get started.

I have a 6' x 2' welding table and im in the process right now off cutting 2' off the end of it to make a 2' x 2" forge, should be done tomorrow.

I recently bought 2 pairs of antique tongs, 2 1/2  lbs ball pein hammer, 3 lbs cross pein hammer at a local antique mall.

I have a Western Chief blower but its seized up, that's my next project. I have a 50 lbs anvil that says Babco Oakland on the side that a guy at work gave me.

Anyway, im pretty excited to get started.

Welcome aboard Matt, glad to have you. You might want to hold off cutting up that nice welding table, solid fuel forges are really easy to make but a good welding table is a gem.

Getting the blower working again is a well discussed topic here, I'm sure there's a section. One of the things that happens really often is. . .  "stuff" jamming them up. They seem to be perfect places for nests: ants, hornets, mice rats, birds, all kids of critters just love living in forge blowers. Then there are children, they seem to just love dropping rocks, nails, bolts, sticks and just plain old dirt in blowers. It probably sounds cool to hear the impellers grinding on . . . stuff.

Sometime a plain good cleaning is all it takes, I used a pressure washer on one I picked up and all kinds of . . . interesting. . . stuff came out. Then gentle back and forth on the handle action loosened up the rest of the crud and finally got it moving.

I've found it isn't usually necessary to take them apart to get them working, sometimes it is but not always. Oiling is a big mistake we make, do NOT fill the case with oil unless you want to oil the shop floor. just a few drops in the oiling hole is all it wants or needs.

Frosty The Lucky.