I Forge Iron

Help with age of my Brooks anvil

Hello All,

I'm hoping someone who knows a bit about the history of Brooks anvils, may be able to give me a ballpark age of mine...

I've got a 100 lb Brooks. On one side (when viewed with the horn pointing left) it says:

45 KGS

ENGLAND

And on the other side, it says:

JB

1 CWT

The lettering is raised, not stamped. There is evidence of some dark blue paint - although anyone could have done that at some point in its past life, not sure if the manufacturer painted them.

I suppose I'm wondering during what time period Brooks marked their anvils "JB" as opposed to "Brooks", and also when they started using a metric weight.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Neil

post-24048-0-16323700-1396805451_thumb.j

Yes, I am aware of how the search function works twcoffey. This isn't my first post on this forum.  Unfortunately, having read through all of the search results, I wasn't able to find the information I'm looking for, which is why (after searching), I posted a new topic.

It seems some people out there, are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to anvil history. I am not. I'm hoping one of those people can help me to figure out a ballpark age of my anvil.  I am specifically looking for info regarding Brooks anvils that are marked with "J B" as opposed to those marked with the name "Brooks", and if that little tidbit may tell me anything about it (age, or if they had a different product line, or whatever).

If you happen to have seen something in one of those other threads that the search term "brooks anvils" returns - something I missed when looking, I would very much appreciate you pointing me towards that thread or post.

They may be trying to hunt down someone who still remembers the "old days"!

I once ran across a fellow who had worked at one of the anvil makers in Columbus OH, USA right at the end---he mentioned that when they shut down there was a line of anvils along the top of the bank of the river next to it-----I hiked in to take a look to see if any had made it down to the riverbed; but didn't find any.  Did find a dozen or so of the large natural sandstone grinding wheels they used and used to roll down into the river when they got too small----3-4' diameter and 1' thick being too small...

• 5 years later...