I Forge Iron

Cast Forge Floor

iron quake

I’m looking for suggestions on casting a large 12” X 24” floor in a new forge. I’ve cast a floor in Resco Vibracast 60PC and it works and is very strong but has to high a thermal conductivity 14 BTU/ft2/Hr/°F/in. I see the Kast-O-Lite products are in the 4-4.5 range. Can I cast a floor this size a 1.25” thick and have it stay together? It will be on top of 1” of thermal blanket. Is there a better product to use? Should I include stainless needles in the mix to increase the strength? I don’t forge weld so I don’t care about flux issues.

Thank You,

Quake

If you don't care about the effects of flux, why use a hard floor at all?  A thick coat of Satanite or Kastolite will protect the floor just fine and can be patched easily enough.  You could just go with a high temp kiln shelf.  Again, easy to replace when it get's damaged and not much thermal mass.

Unless you are a production shop running long hours, shift on shift, I don't see the point of large masses of hard surface in a forge.  It's just costing you gas.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...