I Forge Iron

Tactical Knives magazine article about a bush sword

I just had an article by Joe Flowers come out in the July issue (yes, already on the stands in March!) of Tactical Knives Magazine.  He reviewed a bush sword and companion knife that I made for him with an ambidextrous, modular leather sheath rig by Luke Swenson (

The photos by Terrill Hoffman are terrific, but they're in black and white and don't convey the retina-searing neon lemon color of the paracord wrap on the handle.  I chose the color after seeing another article Joe wrote about a river rafting knife that also had a bright yellow handle for high visibility.

joe2_zpsa4821621.jpg

joe1_zpscef32b18.jpg

joeteaser1_zps8613b493.jpg

joeteaser2_zps678c07ee.jpg

A nice personal touch from Luke.

joeteaser3_zps093b7fd1.jpg

We also made a rig at the same time for fellow TK writer Reuben Bolieu.  In contrast, I used retina-searing neon orange paracord for his.  I found out later that he likes orange tools for working in jungle as it shows up easily if dropped among leaves.  He's posted on various forums photos of the rig being used to cut wood for fires and shelters, cutting good-sized logs to build a raft, making shavings for fire starter, clearing tall grass, etc. 

reuben2_zpsb99efd75.jpg

reuben3_zps51ac6074.jpg

reuben1_zpscb88c1a4.jpg

reubenteaser1_zps8215f4d2.jpg

reubenteaser2_zpsebe9c5e2.jpg

reubenteaser3_zps67cfdcdb.jpg

I handed over the rigs to these two gentlemen at the Blade Show.  Here's Joe with his:

bladeshow6_zps19236999.jpg

And, from left to right, Luke, Reuben, and me.

bladeshow7_zpsd687b383.jpg

Thank y'all!

Thomas - When Joe got his hands on the bush sword, he took some experimental swings and commented on how it was "almost delicately balanced".  Thank goodness there was a lull in the crowd and no one was nearby in the aisle at the time!

Frosty - It'd be great if I got busy enough to expand and hire some help.  Not the kind of thing I could really do on the forging side of things, but the stock removal stuff...maybe.  :)  I do have plenty of work needing my attending to these days, for which I am quite grateful.