I Forge Iron

Looking for Bronze

Firegirl

Looked at speedymetals.com. They list only "aluminum bronze." Vas ist das aluminum bronze? I want silicon bronze. Inquiring minds want to know. Why is finding bronze, brass, stainless, so difficult, anyway? The stuff has been around for centuries, but nobody in Abuquerque has it.

For small rods, would brazing rod from the welding supply dealer work? Several sizes to choose from. May want to check the scrap dealers as they many times have pallet size containers of brass, bronze, that has been sold for scrap prices.

• 4 months later...

Hello all,

What is your shop set up for? Rolling mill? Hammer and anvil? What size material do you need?

If you are looking for silicon bronze sheet and rod, I have found Atlas Metals in Denver to be quite good, but they sell 2' x 10' sheets and 6 or 12 foot rods.

Mcmaster in Chicago has a great online sales site with Silicon Bronze rod 5/16" on up, but no sheet. lots of other copper alloy sheet goods though.

For joining bronzes and a good color match, remember to use the same alloy, I always use 655 silicon bronze so my castings match my forgings and my raised or formed sheet, then my scrap can be used for casting.

Kind regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Firegirl,

Dig that name! It's been many many years since I worked with that stuff and I can't remember who I got what from. But, if you haven't checked already, I believe Rio Grande Jewelry Supply is in Albuquerque. Maybe they have it?

What are you working on? Sounds intriguing!

Phil

Thanks for all the ideas guys...Rio does carry bronze, but only for casting and I prefer to forge things, better feel for the piece that way. I have series of figures in mind that I am going to try (elemental spirits) if I can find (and afford!) the materials. I've got quote requests in for all the other suppliers...

Firegirl, I just noticed your signature. Ha, ha, that's a good one. I really like it. Let us know what you find out about sourcing your material...and definitely send us some pix of your work. It sounds even more intriguing! As a biodynamic farmer I have a deep sense of respect for elementals. Looking forward to hearing/seeing more from you. Thanks, Phil

• 5 months later...

Hi Firegirl,
Try metalsupermarkets.com. They carry brass, copper and bronze. They list it as architectural bronze so I don't know what it's alloyed with but they have stores all over the US and Canada. I've had great experience with the stores near me (Toronto and Hamilton) - however I've never ordered bronze before. Good luck.

Aeneas