I Forge Iron

Advice on finishing forge build

Ohio_82

I built a variaton of the supercharged 55 forge. I have my opening cut at 4 inches from the bottom to match the hight of my brake drum. I am wondering if I should line the bottom with anything and also if I should add fire bricks to the inside? Any and all help would be appriciated. Thanks Anthony.

I have run the 55 Forge as shown in the Blueprints with no firebrick, no refractory, just bare metal. The air pipe stands up about an inch to an inch and a half and that distance will fill with ash and insulate the bottom of the barrel from the heat. Remember that the fire is above the top of the air pipe anyway. Yes the air pipe did burn off about an inch of metal a year, so drill another hole for the grate rod and be happy. 

The brake drum was just a way to lower the fireball. The hole was cut so the brake drum caught on the lip and most of the drum was below the bottom of the barrel. The rotor version hole was cut so the flange of the rotor was the only thing that held it in place. I see no reason to have 4 inches of ash in the bottom of the barrel to make things level with the top of the drum. I would suggest to drop the drum into a hole and let it hang below the barrel. Use a couple of straps to hold it in place if you wish, but if the hole is sized right, it should catch on the lip of the drum and be ok.

With the brake drum or rotor below the bottom of the drum the sweet spot of the fire is also lower. You can then adjust the lip on the front of the barrel to act as a support for the metal.

All this is based on the standard forge.

I did add bricks to the inside to contain the fire for one project. It made the *pan* smaller and deeper. 

I put 2 each 3/8 inch bolts across a 3 inch opening and it works very well. I am even able to use fines or coal dust as a fuel in this fire pot.  

Do not be afraid to try different designs. My forge is still a work in progress, a testing platform, and a lot of fun. I usually leave the 55 Forge with the Supercharger in place and run a second forge beside it. This way I always have a working forge and a way to compare one design to another. 

The 55 forge and the 55 Forge with the Supercharger are not permanent forges. The difference is the supercharged version removes the smoke from the work area. They are not industrial forges. They are quick and easy to build, simple, and work. They will need replaced in a couple of years if left outside in the elements with ash in the barrel. The wet ash eats the metal of the barrel.

Please let us know how your build progresses and how the forge works for you. Please include photos.

The opening is WAY to large in my opintion and I would expect it to smoke in use. 

The original opening was too large and I later used a 16 inch wide opening x about 20 inches tall. This is 8 inches either side or the center line of the opening and from the bottom of the barrel to 4 inches below the 2nd ring. I later rounded the top of the opening (instead of square) to subtract that amount of air going into the barrel.  The width was determined as it allowed good access to the fire. The height was determined to allow me to see the back of the barrel from my standing position.

As Charles R. Stevens suggests, cut the material from the opening into 2 inch strips, fold in half and cover the sharp edges of the open door. You can cut EMT tubing the long way and slip it over the sharp edge to protect the user. The edge stays sharp as long as it is not protected. Do not ask how I know this fact. 

Please notice the supercharger is a second 55 gallon drum placed on top of the first drum in order to act as a chimney. I used a 2nd barrel which gives a 23-1/2 inch diameter chimney. There appears to be a 6 inch stack coming from the top of your barrel. I would suggest at least 10 or 12 inch in order to get the smoke up and out of the chimney.

The top of the barrel will come off so adding a second barrel or just leaving it open will not be a problem. I guess a guy who has never forged should probably not build a forge but oh well I guess. I only have 15 dollars into this so I'm not really out much if I scrap the whole thing in a few months if I find that it will not work for me the way I want it to. The edge really is not sharp at all. I used a plasma cutter to open it up so it left a jagged looking "soft" edge. I thank you guys for all your help and I will make sure to post pic of my first attempt at forging. I am going to a blacksmithing group meeting tomorrow, and im very much looking forward to it. Thanks Anthony

No need to scrap it- you have a good start. Take the suggestions offered above and do some tweaking until you're happy and it performs well. Get some coal burning in it and you'll start to see what you need to do. Tweak as above. Tweak- do not twerk. And have fun. And be safe.

Steve