I Forge Iron

Refaced my old mild steel post anvil

I just finished hardfacing and dressing my old mild steel post anvil. It definitely rebounds much better now. It started out as a piece of 2x6x28" bar that I set in high strength concrete in an old kitchen trash can. All of my knives have been forged on this anvil to date. My old Wilkinson anvil has had general blacksmithin duty. Since I finally moved to the country I can make all the racket I want now! While diggin through my old stuff I found my little one brick forge and lit it just to make sure she still worked. Maybe tomorrow I'll find time to hammer a bit :)
Anyway here's a few pics of the post, some peening pics and final dressed face. A couple funny blue handled hammers I picked up for 12$ a piece too.
Btw I used hardalloy32 hardfacing rod. With a few passes it finishes rc32, should continue to work harden a bit too.
Sorry for the inverted pics

post-4280-0-81110100-1394325000_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-77185600-1394325055_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-69733500-1394325122_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-85983300-1394325227_thumb.jp

post-4280-0-55125600-1394325306_thumb.jp

About 6 passes, I actually lost count. I've been playin with it in the evenings for about the last week. No preheat or anything on the mild steel. With other alloys it may be necessary though. I think the peening def made a difference too. The original mild steel work hardened a decent amount, even began mushrooming a little on top. Just from the rebound now vs before it's much better. I bought 10# of hardfacing for 44$, I figure I used about 3.5# so it cost around 15$ plus electricity and half a grinding wheel. I don't think it will be necessary but if I find I need more hardness there is a Hardalloy58 which allows for 2 passes and results in 58rc.