I Forge Iron

Tool holders

Glenn

How do you store your corded and other hand tools?

One grinder is not bad, but you get 2,3 grinders, a drill, sander, and on and on and well you get the idea.

We need some ideas on how to store the hand tools so the one you want is not always on the bottom of the pile.

I have three 4-1/2" grinders, and 4 die grinders(3 of which I use a lot) I keep a different stone, bit, rasp,etc in each tool. The grinders hang on hooks or loops where ever I use them most. They are never put away. The die grinders all reside in a coffee can unless I'm using it. Then it resides on the end of the air hose or on the bench if I'm using more than one. When I'm done with the air tools, I put them back in the coffee can.

In Shop --

Photo 1
On Left Door, B&D 1/4 inch Right Angle Drill, 3/8 Sioux drill, box of drill bits. Hanging on Center Wall, 3/4 inch reversing B&D Drill, 1/2 inch Sioux Drill, 2 - 1/4 inch Sioux drills. On Right Door, 1/2 inch air impact Wrench. Resting on Bottom, 1/2 inch deep impact sockets in carrier, 3/8 MF combo hammer drill, 3/8 inch butterfly impact in carrier with sockets, 3/8 air drill, electric saw, (hidden) 3/8 air ratchet. Just 3/4 plywood fastened to wall with doors.

Photo 2
Under Back Welding Bench, 7 inch Sioux angle grinder with flap wheel (also use sanding disc on this one, 7 inch Sioux angle grinder with wire brush (also have a SS cup brush for it), 9 inch Sioux angle grinder with used 9 inch disc, 5 inch Makita grinder, on top of bench another 5 inch Makita angle grinder with a flap wheel.

Photo 3
5 inch Milwaukee angle grinder in holder on side of Wire Feed Welder.

Photo 4, On Service Truck --

Top Shelf, 1/2 inch Sioux Elec impact w/sockets, Milwaukee 1/4 inch elec die grinder, 7 inch sioux angle grinder, 1/2 inch Sioux drill, 3/8 Sioux drill, 5 inch Milwaukee angle grinder.
Below, Milwaukee straight hand grinder, I often clamp in vise on truck to use as a bench grinder.

3537.attach

3538.attach

3539.attach

3540.attach

I'm setting up my shop by functions. There is a grinding/buffing area, a forging/hot work area, hole-making area (drill press, punch press, hand drills, bits, taps/dies, etc.), welding area, etc. The material cutting section is in the middle on wheeled stands to make room as needed. This helps me to decide where a tool should go (and where I should look for it). Now I'm building racks and shelves to hold things at each place. Misc. items that don't get used much are currently in the large shelf at the bottom of the tool chest. That currently includes a dremmel, small sander, jigsaw, etc. When I find/make/buy some better storage (I'd like some overhead kitchen cabinets or similar) those and other infrequently used tools and materials will go up and out of the way to give me more space at ground level.

I have my 1 angle grinder in the angle grinder bin, but one of my friends says that he has an angle grinder bucket for his 7 angle grinders. He cut holes in the top of the bucket for the handles, and the bucket holds an extention cord and grinding supplies.