I Forge Iron

Carbon Arc Lighting

Candidquality

Thinking about setting up a carbon arc light for demo's and such that run a bit past daylight. Also thinking about a sterling engine to run it, but that's another topic. Is anyone here a fan of the technology? Seems as if 1870 is a good a time period as any to settle on. I know I can get carbon's from theatre supply shops (as some projectors are still run off carbon arc lamps). Still quite a bit of research to do, but seems to fit in with my current plans. So anyone here have any ideas? Anyone into lamp(lantern) design? anyone actually seen one of these in use?

We used them in a physics class where some of the ancient demo equipment used them to throw meter reading onto the screen. Not very pleasant to have very near you, too bright you would have to wear goggles and advise folks not to stare into the light. Also you have to fuss with them a lot unless you get a very nice automatic version. It would have to be a pretty strong Stirling engine to produce the amps required.

Figure if i'm buying coal by the ton(@$100) it can't be that expensive to run it. And it's another nice oddity to attract the crowds. Thinking about the glass enclosed variety to help shield the UV. Automatic is a must(and fairly simple once you see the patent plates). Just appears to be another side road to travel down in my journey. Trying to get a bit more information from one of the inventor's(brush's) grandsons currently. It appears that you can buy the spotlights currently for under $300. So materials for what I want should cost in that same ballpark. We'll see where it goes. Glad to know someone here has at least seen one in operation.

You can get air arc carbon rods down as small as 3/16. A better source of light would be one of the kerosene lamps with a mantle like the Amish use, and use liquid paraffin instead of kerosene, it burns cleaner, and use some backing mirrors to focus the light where you want it. and its also period looking. the mantles are fragile after the first burn and don't make the mistake of blowing in the top of the globe to extenquish it.

The Mantle Lamps are very bright, and put out a lot of light. http://www.aladdin-us.com/

Thanks JR for suggesting the simpler route. I do tend to over complicate things. Still a project that I want to do, but the lamp will tide me over until I can get enough information to do what i need. might I ask why parrafin instead of kerosene? aren't both of these petroleum products?

when you turn the wick up high on a kerosene lamp it smokes really bad, paraffin is a by product of oil wells and in some it plugs the long string, the pipe that comes from the bottom of the well. The liquid paraffin is a clear liquid, hardly any odor, it burns with a whiter brighter flame, and even turning it way up, smokes very little. Actually called paraffin oil I think