I Forge Iron

Gas Forge Research Beginnings!!!

ShawnW

So I posted in the GD that I wanted to start a project that used a blown ribbon burner (which I intend to do someday).  After looking at how to make one I decided to purchase one...after realizing that I was going to need a very large forge to use one effectively (0.75 cu. ft. from Pineridge Burners), and all the work that goes into making a forge that fits one, I decided to begin with something a bit less adventurous.  I found zoellerforge.com and am going to start working on a coffee can forge just to have one around because they look very versatile and useful...like I could use it in the house and no one would be the wiser...more on that later.  I want something a bit larger than a little coffee can forge and I don't want to do a lot of fabrication on it so I began of thinking of containers container's already made that would suit my purposes which leads us to my question: Has anyone used a pony keg or a half keg barrel to build a forge?  I'm going to start looking for containers tomorrow or Friday so I'm wondering what's the best place to find them.  I think this size will be better for me in the short run just to get started.  As for what I said earlier about using a forge in the house, no I'm not planning on doing anything that ridiculous whether or not it could be done, but I am having trouble convincing my wife that this is a good idea...hence the coffee can forge for introduction. 

On another note, does anyone have problems with having created a forge collection that is taking up too much room?  I mean, has anyone started with the coffee-can forge and moved on to the propane-tank forge and just making progressively larger forges until they have all the forges they need for the sizes of work they do but not enough space in their work area to actually use any of them?   These last two thought processes (wife needing convincing and exponential forge growth) don't really need an answer and are just thoughts, but the first part, that is definitely important.  Thank you.

ShawnW

I've seen a number of single burner freon cylinder forges done. A pony keg is a lot of volume compared to a freon cylinder or even 20 lb propane cylinder. More volume equals the need for more burners and more gas. I saw a really nice 4 burner "box" forge that some one built that was still smaller than a keg. While the width/ depth was probably close in size to a 1/2 keg, the height was maybe 1/2 as high cutting down the volume.

A pony keg's diameter is only 11 1/8" (not full keg size), I figured two inches of Kaewool brings it down to approximately 7" diameter with room for some ITC-1000 and a ceramic floor.  Cut in half w/ a welded on door of sorts to keep the heat in.  I'm not intending to utilize the entire length, I am just keeping ideas open for container sizes that can be 'made to fit,'... kinda.  If the length is cut down to size I think it would be ok, at least comparable to a Freon tank or a propane tank.  Another aspect I was concerned with was whether or not the material would be suitable for a forge.  Some kegs are made from steel and some from aluminum, I'm assuming the aluminum ones would work just as well as the steel ones, I just wanted to know if someone had used one before.  I'm going to my pinning ceremony tomorrow and hopefully, afterwards I'll be searching out materials to make a forge from.  Thanks everyone for your help. 

I don't know of anyone who's used an aluminum keg or pony for a forge but there are guys who have used the steel and SS kegs and ponies. I'd think twice about using the AL one unless someone gave me one.

The problem I see with an AL shell isn't so much worry about melting it as it's high conductivity. I'm kind of a selfish guy I paid for the propane and want to keep as much heat in the forge as I can and AL just doesn't fit that model.

I know I've said this before but I'll say it again. I really like single wall stainless steel stove pipe. You can get it in a large range of diameters and lengths and a person can get creative with the diameter by snapping different diameter sections together for the odd sizes. Common diameters start at 4" for clothes dryers and work their way up by increments, 5" is available, 6" is really common, then 8," 10" and 12" are common sizes. they all run in lengths by 24" increments. A good pair of aviation snips will make the length you need. If you want say 11" dia. put a length of 5" and 6" together. Easy peasy, pick a diameter and make it.

You don't need special tools: a hand drill, bits and a hole saw does most of it tin snips and a pop rivet gun, tape measure, steel rule, red marking pencil and a center punch pretty much completes the tool kit.

Legs are easy and off the shelf but the industry calls them wall brackets and they come in all the common sizes. drill a couple holes and pip rivet them on. It's a done deal and good for a lot of weight, easy peasy.

SS stove pipe is more expensive than a salvaged freon or propane tank but it's light, easy to work with NO torch or welding at all and Stainless is a lot more IR reflective than steel let alone aluminum. The only hassle might, MIGHT be making the burner brackets but what the hey use those trimmings from a length or get creative with wall hanger brackets.

Thems my two bits and I'm sticking by them.

Yeah, I've built a number of gas forges, my old original 10.5" diameter 12" long steel pipe forge sits sort of in the way and I haven't used it in a while but it's there if I need it. You certainly don't think I'm throwing it away do you? <gasp of shock!> The ones I've made with hardware cloth and kaowool have been reabsorbed and reused as have the bean and coffee can forges. Hardware cloth and tin cans are all over the place.

If they're too much in the way put them in a plastic garbage bag on a shelf stack them where you aren't going to trip on them or take them apart and reuse the refractory. The Kaowool or equivalent is the expensive part. ITC-100 has become the REALLY expensive part but there are economical and home brew alternatives available listed here.

Frosty The Lucky.

So a stainless pony keg should be good to go, good.  I'm just looking at options for containers, trying to get an idea of what I want to use and what I can find quickly.  As for the stove pipe idea, Isn't there a concern for the forge to be crushed?  While it's a concern for all containers, isn't that concern relatively higher for stovepipe?  Just curious about your opinion on the subject.  Thanks.

ShawnW

I have known of professional smiths building forges just using kaowool and a couple of piece of bailing wire.  How should it get crushed you don't put anything on top of it!

My current teaching forge was made from a party balloon He tank---very thin walled and *light*  much easier to travel with than the one made from and oxygen welding tank

ThomasPowers: I guess I want something with a bit of aesthetic to go along with its functionality.  If you check out the link below you can see that I will probably end up wrapping the new forge I build in chainmaille just because I can.  I don't know if I'm ready to settle for kaowool and bailing wire.  While I'm sure it works I would like something a little more robust.  And are you talking about a helium tank you would get at a hobby lobby or a michaels?  Are they about 1/16" thick?  That would be lighter than a propane tank of similar proportions for sure, I'll add it to the list of canisters to keep an eye out for, thank you.