I Forge Iron

Maybe a forge anvil combo??

Well, I found someone who is looking to get rid of a iron wood stove I was thinking I could use it as part of a forge development/anvil... how would I use it as a forge? i'm thinking maybe by using a tire rim to rest on the edge of the surface using the chimeny part for the air blast mount or just use the stove itself for the forge... is this something to consider?

The biggest problem with using a heat stove for a forge is the heat. Half an hour into a session the stove will be putting off so much heat you won't be able to get near it.

As for using a wood stove for an anvil, forget it, it'll just break up if it's cast and if it's welded steel it'll just dent.

There is a good forge available from old time home decorating though. If you find one of those old (1970's) free standing conical fireplaces, they make fine forges. You need to line the floor with brick, fire clay, etc. and plumb the air blast but that's no big deal.

Unfortunately the conical free standing fireplaces are getting harder and harder to find, besides being ugly they aren't very good fireplaces so making your own from scrounged (salvaged ;)) materials is likely to save you a lot of time getting you up and smithing.

I don't know the number but there are a couple plans in the blueprint section for making forges from 55gl drums amongst other perfectly good plans. Some are simpler than others, some require more tools and expertise than others but all in all a person who wants to get into smithing should be able to make themselves a working forge from the inspiration.

Frosty

• 1 month later...