I Forge Iron

Identifying a Peter Wright Anvil - Opinions?

Hello,

This is my first post on the forum, and I'm hoping to get some helpful information.

I've never touched an anvil in my life. I'm finally able to start looking at equipment for purchase and I ran across this on Ebay.

post-39547-0-93438500-1391577200_thumb.j

Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PETER-WRIGHT-ANVIL-SOLID-METAL-BLACKSMITH-188-LBS-/350988919364

The poster claims it's a Peter Wright but I'm wondering why there isn't a higher bid on it. Surely the yellow paint would not deter anybody? Can anyone see any obvious defects that I cannot, or otherwise tell me I SHOULD NOT bid on this?

Thanks so much,

Andrew

Thanks all.

as wpearson pointed out, shipping is $250 so i won't be bidding either way. im sure that is a very reasonable price given its weight, however ive found a 100lb Vulcan that is in my price range. thanks for the help!

The PW is a much better anvil than the Vulcan.  I would pass on the Vulcan and try to find a better anvil, no matter how affordable it is.

Thanks again.

I decided to pass on the Vulcan according to your suggestions. The PW was way out of my way (I live in CA and I think it was listed in Michigan) I'm actually selling a guitar to purchase something a bit more valuable for the long run.  Thanks again for all your help! And if anyone wants to trade a guitar for an anvil in CA, pm me!