I Forge Iron

New Book On Hydraulic Forging Presses

Randy

Request for photographs for new book

I am in the process of writing a book about the hydraulic forging press. I have decided to add a gallery of items that were made using this type of press and the tooling required to do it. A high quality, high resolution, 300 dpi photograph with a plain light background is required. Please save it as a tiff file.

Also shop photographs of your press with information in regards to tonnage, quick change tooling, etc., may also be useful.

You will be given credit for all work and all photographs that are used with contact information in the book. I need this information by March 31.

You may submit digital photos by emailing them to Randy McDaniel. If you have any questions or have photos to share message me and I will give you my email address. You will also be sent a release form.

Please pass this on to anyone else that you think would benefit from this.

Thank you!

Randy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Randy I have build a press it's almost done well still need to have electric automation control made for it and some more tooling but here is a link to a photobucket album with pictures of it 

http://s239.photobucket.com/user/DClaville/library/forging%20press?sort=3&page=1

and also have a few short youtube videos 

Randy will you be discussing the merits of rephasing cylinders vs non-rephasing types and the likelihood of over pressure due to hydraulic surge and maybe something on accumulators?

I am curious about all of these.

Ric

Unfortunately Jim's excellent book does not address rephasing or accumulators. I'll be building an accumulator set up to use on my big riveter when the cylinder gets made for it. What I can tell you about accumulators goes counter to what we've learned all along from most in the b/s community. That is- open centered valves are the end all in a forging press. They wont work for an accumulator, gotta be closed centered. 

Randy, I'd love to contribute to your book but staging photos of tooling and work to conform to a specific dpi or pixel count with white backgrounds doesn't happen too often in my shop.  Apologies,

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

maybe I can make it simpler for you and everyone else. Photos of the press are just shop photos, no plain backgrounds required. For the tooling and gallery of what you made using that tooling, just go to any craft shop or Staples and buy a sheet of light gray poster board or paper. These are usually about 20" x 26". Take your items outside on a cloudy day or in a shaded area to shoot without shadows. Use a camera of at least 10 mega pixels and use the highest resolution setting that it has. You will probably have to also use the macro setting to get a good focused shot. Take several photos with different groupings and angles, down load them to your computer and email them to me without editing them. Just send as jpeg files and we're good.

You will be given credit for all work and all photographs that are used with contact information in the book. I need this information by March 31.

If you have any questions just let me know. Thanks and I look forward to you being a part of my book.