I Forge Iron

Haggling with a hoarder

Admanfrd

If hoarding is a mental illness then by the looks of most blacksmith shops I seen there is a Whole Lot of Hoarders running around calling themselves Blacksmiths!    

By the looks of the posts here we have a large # of folks touring around salvage yards trying to find and buy stuff that others have recently sold as junk.  Is this something a sane person does regularly on his free time or days off?  I hope so as my family has started looking oddly at me when I pull into the yard with a lot of Valuable Finds in my truck, some talk of not letting me leave alone any longer plus trading my truck for a VW Bug! 

The tailgating sales areas at Blacksmithing events look a whole lot like Hoarders on Wheels.   If hoarding is an illness it must be highly contagious.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody has ever alleged that blacksmiths were sane, notown!  You're talking about people that are forging iron even in the sweltering summer heat.  Guys that fight sub-zero temperatures to get their forges lit.  Folks that don't mind setting themselves on fire as long as the project got done right, or don't even realize they've added a dozen new burn holes in their shirt until the missus tells them about it.

Yea, rust aplenty, but sanity in short supply!  ;)