I Forge Iron

Charcoal Forge Issues

Wanzer

I recently got interested in blacksmithing as a hobby. I built a ground forge out of standard red clay bricks. I drilled some holes in black pipe and used a hairdryer for the air supply. And for fuel have been using homemade charcoal. It took alot of trial and error to get it working. The first 3 or 4 sessions were just reshaping the forge and trying to figure out the qualities of the fire and metal. I think my main problem was I was going for the jetflame effect and giving it way to much air. My second problem was that it was too shallow. Eventually I was able to make a few fire pokers, a fire rake, and a few random things.

Now I really want to successfully forge weld somthing and its just not happening. I don't have any flux, but I heard it was still possible to do without it. I have even heated up the metal to a bright buttery yellow. Practically dripping. And it still wont make a solid connection. It could be because I have only tried using flattened rebar, which I heard is an inconsistent metal to blacksmith with.

Any types or techniques on how to forge weld?

Sounds as if you achieved the right heat, but yeah get rid of the rebar. It is handy for somethings but this ain't it. If you can find some get 1018 not hot roll which can be uneven as well. Then try it again. I have always used hot roll but sometimes my welds don't take, I can pretty much tell now when it is me and when it is material.

Hey Wanzer, I've never successfully welded either, but I still might be able to tell you a couple things. First make sure your charcoal is plently deep, at least 8" (my forge is too shallow). A deep fire is supposed to have 3 zones. Deep, near the air intake is oxidizing. Get the steel too deep, and too much scale forms. Too shallow, and you're in the carbonzing zone. Someplace in between will be neutral. A shallow fire won't have three zones. Also, if you have any doubt about getting the fire hot enough, try burning up some steel. If you can get it sparking hot, then you will have a good idea where the point is that's too hot.

It will help a lot if you can watch somebody else weld.

• 2 months later...

Use flux to learn it will make to welding alot easier. I learned to forge weld from a lot of practice. The force of the blow used to create the joint is important. It is difficult to explain the feeling of the blow when you have it right and the weld holds; for an instant the hammer feels as though it is hitting clay then suddenly feels ridged, you will know when you have it right. As you get better you will find that you can get good welds at lowwer temperatures which decreases the likely-hood of burning your work.

I am using a charcoal forge as well. At first my forge welds didn't take at all. I tried everything. Then I got one link to weld. I have it hanging as a little personal trophy. Now my welds are about 50/50. Make sure to upset and scarf the ends so that you have more metal to weld together. I do not use flux, as I can't find any borax at the local store. But I've heard that you don't need a lot if any flux in charcoal fires. Always brush the area to be welded to. I burned a lot of my stuff at the beginning and still do every now and then.

Sand and lime can also be used as flux. Sand can be purchased at a masonary store and lime can be purchased at argicultural supply stores. I have not had a huge amount of success with either but I know that they have been used in the past as fluxes

m_brothers, Go to the laundry isle of your nearest supermarket. I have yet to run into one that didn't have 20 Mule Team Borax . That's all I ever use.
Finnr

Thats what I also use, get it at my local store! its in a green and tan box and says 20 mule team Borax I get mine in a 4lb. box