I Forge Iron

Not making hammers, should i be ashamed?

Welcome aboard Slet, glad to have you. Don't sweat your English, lots of us live in English speaking countries and don't speak it so well. Seriously we're blacksmiths not English Majors. . . Well, okay there probably are English majors on the forum but it's not the norm. Oh NO don't tell me one of you is named Norm!

There are few real rules where blacksmithing is concerned and making a hammer before considering yourself one isn't in the book. As you learn the craft your interests will change and you'll get commissions you never thought you would. It's a life long learning curve and the end is never in sight.

Frosty The Lucky.

There are so many valued opinions found here that will no doubt assist a person to choose their direction of thinking.

The beautiful thing about it is that you would most likely not go wrong with any of them.

Then there is "FROSTY THE LUCKY" who we charish as a large part of the backbone of I Forge Iron.

Thank Goodness that Frosty made it through that dreadful experence.

I consider us to all be "Lucky" that you made it.

Your a great teacher and a friend;  specially to those who are new to this site; thank you!

I think you summarized in the way that I would have liked to have said it Frosty!

Thank You!  :)

As long as you have the correct tools to efficiently execute the projects you wish to make does it matter where they came from? To some yes – to others – no. I totally get/understand and appreciate the accomplishments of smiths who choose to forge their own tools. Personally however, I enjoy used/vintage/antique tools and the history their maker’s and user’s represent. Whether forged in the Atha plant or by a smith in the mining districts of Colorado knowing that a tool played some role in the industrial heritage of our nations adds a little something extra for me. I recently picked up a nice forging hammer twice stamped by one of the now defunct local steam railroads. A well made tool with a history which transcends the day and the project I’m hammering on.

To touch base a second time, let me clarify for a minute.

There are many kinds of smiths.  I'm the guy that has zero "artistic" ability and focuses on making tools. Hammers, axes, chisels, drifts, punches, adzes, etceteras.  Whatever my foible might be, I struggle mightily to make a leaf.  More importantly, I can't see a need to make a leaf.   Hooks are a utilitarian item, in my mind, so I can make them.  But seeing some of the "artsy" hooks out there just boggles my mind.  Simply put, I would never have thought about a design like that.

For me, as a smith, making "art" is the single hardest thing I could try.  So, stick with what makes you comfortable and comes naturally.  If you're more inclined to make leaves and pretty things, make them.  There's absolutely no shame in following your heart's desire.  Like me, some folks just aren't destined to do a particular thing, but they can excel at something else.

Buy what you need to get started. Make as many tools as you can yourself. Not because you should just because you're a blacksmith but because it saves you a hell of allot of money which helps allot for a beginner. I forged my third hammer yesterday, still have two more to do. You learn allot and I think I've saved a couple hundred already. Not to mention what I've saved making my own tongs.