I Forge Iron

can I fix a cracked anvil?

I have a 200 lbs Peter wright that I scored for a really good price and have had it for@ 3 years. When I first got it I did notice it didn't have a real strong ring to it but didn't think much of it. I did the ball bearing test on it and it had a really nice bounce to it. From a 3ft drop it bounced 3ft at least. I actually didn't notice it until about a year ago but there is a hairline crack that runs all the way around the bottom of the body.
Dow anyone know whether I can run a bead along that crack with my arc welder and would it mess anything up? If I can do this, what type of rod should I use?
I really want to try to fix my anvil, but I will say. It's a very sold anvil and the cool thing is, it's a little quieter than my other 100lbs one that rings like a bell.
Thanks, Chris

Greetings Chris,

I'm with Vaughn on this one....  A picture would help...  Why mess up a good thing if it is not necessary...  It would be a good thing to fill in your profile since you have been a member for a long time...  Its always good to see where a fellow is from...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

You have to post very high quality photos. Many angles, clear, bright.

Sorry but your description of a crack means almost nothing on the internet.

Some good photos will allow for good recommendations of repair options

Also it's not possible that a steel ball would brounce back 100 present of the dropped high if only gravity was pulling it down. So your rebound test must be wrong

Good luck with the anvil. I am sure you can find good information about it on this site