I Forge Iron

lining thickness

Gijotoole

Ladies and Gentlemen,

What is the ideal lining thickness for ceramic wool material? I see most people use 2" and some forges are sold using 1". I'm trying to find out the right size of container to use and need to know what goes on the inside. I am thinking of using the 5 gal bucket on Zoeller's website because I don't have any access to welding equipment. I think it will need at least 2" of wool, though, as the chamber created is too large for one burner. People around here don't discard propane or freon tanks, either, so those aren't really an option. Could I use 1" and cover it with a half inch of refractory and then hit it with an IR wash? What's the difference with another inch of wool? Thanks for the help.

You did not say wot kind of burner(s)  or how many you will use....Gassers work best when designed as a total package. Burners have to be matched to inside cubic inches of space in the forge. And your use will determine wot space you need. If you are starting out new to this I suggest you spend some time in shops that are using gassers and see wot they have and wot they can do in them. 

And to prevent me from typing a lot of old information once again in this wee little box. I will ask that yoiu spend some time reading this section of the forum for information where others have asked about the same thing and have received responses fro a lot of folks. See wot they used for outside shells and inside linings for wot kind and how many burners and look to see if they stated a use for the forge. 

Ladies and Gentlemen,

What is the ideal lining thickness for ceramic wool material? I see most people use 2" and some forges are sold using 1". I'm trying to find out the right size of container to use and need to know what goes on the inside. I am thinking of using the 5 gal bucket on Zoeller's website because I don't have any access to welding equipment. I think it will need at least 2" of wool, though, as the chamber created is too large for one burner. People around here don't discard propane or freon tanks, either, so those aren't really an option. Could I use 1" and cover it with a half inch of refractory and then hit it with an IR wash? What's the difference with another inch of wool? Thanks for the help.

If building the "no welding easy forge" on Larry Z's site, I'd do one of two things:

1) I'd go to three inches of insulation (to increase the efficiency, but more importantly, to reduce the volume); or

2) I'd move from a 3/4" burner to a 1" burner.

In either event, I'd use rigidizer on the ceramic wool and then coat the wool with a reflective/refractory coating. 

People love the Chili forges, and I've noticed that their current Diablo stock burner is approximately 1" - which means the forge is getting a healthy number of BTUs, more than it would get from a 3/4: burner (they used to use something like Larry Zoeller's 3/4"  sidearm burner.)

J

Figure how many cu/in you need in the chamber and figure one ea. 3/4" burner for every 300 cu/in volume. The more refractory wool insulation you have the longer the heat will stay inside the forge which is a good thing. Build the thickness up in 1" layers, 2" refractory wool isn't so flexible and leaves creases and folds when rolled much tighter than 12-14 inches.

Ridgidizer is a good thing and a kiln wash is even better. The kiln wash will help reflect more IR into the forge chamber and is more resistant to fluxes.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a zoeller mod sidearm burner. Most people in southern germany don't have air conditioning, so the "heating/AC" thing is more like heating/open the windows. Most Americans don't understand how we can get pretty much anything back in the states but it's almost impossible to get stuff here. Case-in-point: there isn't anywhere within 90 minutes that sells black sch 40 or 80 pipe retail. The biggest I can get is 3/4" and it's all galvanized. Even then, the parts to make a burner aren't "normal" plumbing (reducers, "t" fittings, plugs...) It's a really long story, guys.

I did some calcs and found that if I use this steel trash can with 2" of wool all around, the chamber is 260-is in3. Zoeller recommends no more than 350 for his burners so I should be okay for what I'm doing (still starting out).

Mr Coe,
I'll revisit your site and check out your instructions. Thanks for the help.