I Forge Iron

No pressure on guage with hose

DanieltheFarrier

So I finished my homemade forge and burner and put it all together. Its a ron reil style burner. I attached burner to propane tank with a 10' propane hose (the kind without a regulator) from lowes. I fired it up with no problem but the gauge read no pressure. It would only get my horseshoe barstock (3/8x7/8) orange and that takes a little bit. So I got a 5' hose and tried that... same story. Then I took the hose out of the system and with the help of some blocking hooked the tank strait to the burner. I lit it up and bingo I had all the pressure I could a want. Now the barstock will get yellow.
Ive tried tried tweaking and adjusting everything I can think of with no luck so im needing some help. Thanks in advance!

post-16936-0-98094100-1388872030_thumb.j  post-16936-0-23453600-1388872048_thumb.j

So I finished my homemade forge and burner and put it all together. Its a ron reil style burner. I attached burner to propane tank with a 10' propane hose (the kind without a regulator) from lowes. I fired it up with no problem but the gauge read no pressure. It would only get my horseshoe barstock (3/8x7/8) orange and that takes a little bit. So I got a 5' hose and tried that... same story. Then I took the hose out of the system and with the help of some blocking hooked the tank strait to the burner. I lit it up and bingo I had all the pressure I could a want. Now the barstock will get yellow.
Ive tried tried tweaking and adjusting everything I can think of with no luck so im needing some help. Thanks in advance!

attachicon.gif1388871897055.jpg  attachicon.gif1388869257989.jpg

I agree with above comments. Whats most likely happening with the Lowes BBQ hoses is they were designed for BBQ use. I'm betting the one if not both end connectors have very tiny orifices. BBQs don't need the volume of gas that a forge requires. Once you have the proper hose, you will certainly want a regulator. Please don't use the forge as you have pictured. You have a time bomb there. If it leaks propane is heavier than air and will pour right down in the path of ignition.