I Forge Iron

Anvil like substance...

Being in the middle of nowhere in a heavy farming and agricultural community can pay off it seems!
Local tractor shop gave me blessing to 'look in the bins and take whatever'.... and since I could not lift the 3" thick engine blocks in there... I settled on some scooper teeth!

For little stuff... I think these will suffice for the moment!

post-49690-0-68541600-1387444689_thumb.j

TP... if I go back and see more scoop teeth... do you want one shipped to you?  Assuming they will still be free... you'd just eat the flat rate shipping (assuming it will fit a box.)
-Steve

And in the interim... I think I'll chisel out a seat in a tree stump... until my welder is replaced.
There is no RR rail to be found in my near valleys... these were serviced by stagecoach from Carson!

I was thinking that a nice piece of 4x4" (or whatever the width of those big pieces was) and some full penetration welding and you would have a good stake anvil with 2 "horns"  wouldn't mind having such in my smithy!

Naw; I've been making stake anvils out of old odd sledge hammers---like RR spike drivers, old drilling hammers, etc.  I also still have 180# of forklift tine to convert and of course about a ton of old anvils.  What I need is a welding outlet for the shop!  (and then the big project will be a treadle hammer as I've scrounged the steel for it, 1" baseplate, 5.25" dia anvil shaft, I beam for the back upright, etc)