I Forge Iron

American Wrought Anvil Co

Well I bought a 150lb Trenton at a scrap yard a few months ago and really like it.

Last week I went back to the same scrap yard to see if they had a post vice but no luck. Anyhow I saw a anvil up on a shelf and looked it over it was forged that much I could tell. I did some scrubing with my finger and saw American Wrought.  The edges looked a little beat up but the faceplate was flat and it sounded pretty good. Anyhow my dad has wanted a anvil for the past 10 years but has had no luck in finding one reasonably priced. So I asked my mom if a anvil would be a good gift for Christmas. She said yes. So today I went and picked it up. It weighs 100 lbs even.  I had to pay 150 for it but it will likely outlast me and my dad. After doing some research this seems to be a fairly uncommon anvil.

Anyone have any info on this anvil like what material is used and maybe the age?

DSCN3440_zpsc769d8a6.jpg

DSCN3441_zpsc1e4b5ff.jpg

DSCN3442_zps8592349c.jpg

Sweet deal for $150.  The flour trick for me worked okay, but what showed me the most on my very worn PW was as the sun was low in the sky, the sunlight hit it at just the right angle and allowed me to discern more writing than anything else.  A spotlight at the right angle seems to work pretty well too.