I Forge Iron

Earplugs

Back in the early 80's, the Anvils' Ring had an article about hearing protection. I took it to heart and have worn ear plugs ever since. I am now uncomfortable to be in a shop without my ear plugs, as well as safety glasses, etc. Ears and eyes can not be replaced, protect them.

A few years ago I invested $60.00 into the molded to fit my ear canals type plugs. They are worth every penny! I got them "flesh" colored so they would not be as visually noticeable for use at re-enactments. I can hear voices (spoken ones of course) and lower deicbles while the louder ones are cut.

Safety First: Don't be macho or stupid. Wear hearing protection, safety glasses, and other correct clothing, etc. I am now uncomfortable doing anything in my shop without wearing my "standard" safety gear. That includes, ear plugs, a leather apron, long pants and either good leather work shoes or my favorite, wooden shoes.

I had to buy hearing aids last year, ($4,500.00 worth!) and I wear ear protection almost religiously. In my shop mostly ear muffs, industial grade, at work ear plugs always and will add ear muffs at times. The plugs I use do not bother me like the old ones did but I can understand how they can to someone not used to wearing them. The type I use are "E-A-R SOFT BLASTS" www.e-a-r.com if you are interested. WEAR SOMETHING, the aids are OK but NOTHING like the real thing. Protect your hearing.

sorry about the sermon guys and gals....but eyes and ears are hard to replace...

I wear the kind that go in your ears, and are connected by a springy band that hangs below your chin when they are in your ears and keeps them around your neck when they are out of your ears. Got the idea from Lorelai Simms (sp?) in that you don't have to touch the plugs with dirty fingers to get them in and out.

I wear them when I'm doing heavy drawing or fullering using the big 4 lb hammer, not so much doing lighter work. I find it helps to be able to hear the charcoal forge and the blast as I'm working.

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

Bump, back to the top of the list for this one.....

im 32, (and therefore still pretty well invincible in my mind) I had always taken a 'dont nanny me' attitude to PPE untill a couple of years ago, sat in a quiet pub a couple of years ago I found myself saying 'what' , 'you what' 'sorry mate' 'eeehh' every time one of my mates spoke,

they thought I was winding them up and took the p*ss, and I had a sudden realisation of what the future could hold for me, and it was scary.

thank God it was only temporary, I now use the little 'EAR' yellow fellows mentioned above, if you buy a box of *250 / 500* pairs they are almost free. I feel a bit naked without them.

I find high frequency noise the worst, grinders etc.

I dont wear them all the time, more a pop in when needed thing when its LOUD, My top tip, always keep them in the same pocket (top right overalls for me) , it becomes second nature, you know the thing, phone right trousers, cigs top left - get so you dont have to think about it.

I wear the big earmuffs. No dirty fingers in my ears, easy to take off easy to put on.

I had a hearing test done 6-7 years ago when I was doing my last year of electrical before quitting to start up my forge/fab shop. Just had a hearing test done last week and its the same as it was back then. So using the Nazel3b, 100lb littlegiant, big grinders, hand hammering and the odd quick job I didn't bother putting them on for, they have worked well for me.

Dirt IS a consideration when you use earplugs. Thats why I like the disposable ones. I always put them in before I get hands dirty and when I take them out I throw them away. Before I put in new ones, I wash my hands. I have known folks that have gotten nasty ear infections from dirty earplugs. Especially in the hot and humid months.

Me too on the hearing loss, and it sucks... I am very protective of what little hearing I have left and work hard to avoid loud noises when I don't have my safety equipment with me. I work alone most of the time and wear Worktunes muffs, and a half mask resporator, and kevlar sleaves, and gloves a good part of the time. I live in safety glasses and steeltoed boots. I would like to make a leather apron that didn't bother my back and my neck, but I only catch myself on fire once or twice a year so no hurry on the apron;-) Burns on your body heal, your eyes, ears and lungs don't. Protect any part of your body you would like to keep, wear the right safety equipment, and know its limitations as well as yours

I don't so much while hammering, the anvil is tied down really well and doesn't ring.

I wear plugs while grinding, etc. And if we had a power hammer, I'd certainly wear them for that.

I'm thinking about getting a set of muffs though, since there are days when plugs give me ear aches.