I Forge Iron

Finally finished.

Wildernessmedic

Looks like he has a good supply of water close by...very nicely done can't wait to see your pieces if you keep up the fit and finish!

BTW I built a sheet metal fence for my brake drum forge with a slight gap where the ends would meet and a mousehole across from it right above the level of the brake drum.

To use I just dropped in in the drum---spring fit to the inner sides--- and then could pile the fuel high and still stick long pieces in the hot of the fire.  It was my main billet welder for several years.

Thanks!

I'll see about building you sheet metal fence idea after a few times messing around on it.

I don't know where to even get real lump charcoal.

No HazMat I wish I could say I did but I got lucky and found something that fit it perfectly. Had to cut it and fit it, but it's not built from scratch.

You can easily make your own charcoal.  Search youtube for "making charcoal for a forge"   Good job on the forge, though you might in the future want it to be in the center of a table of sorts so fuel isn't being wasted on the ground and it provides support for whatever you're heating.

This picture kinda shows what I mean.  For using charcoal I need to do something like Thomas suggests to make the firepot deeper.  Works fine for coke & coal as is.

post-34362-0-53348500-1386267466_thumb.j

Pretty pissed off. My coke and coal gets here I go to fire it up and all of a sudden the hair dryer is trash.

Also kind of bummed, they sent me my bags but didn't label them, how can I tell which is which. I thought coke was white? I have two bags of black fragments, one is slightly shinier than the other.