I Forge Iron

Just playing around

Cajun66

I have loads of scrap laying around and a MIG. I often get bored and build whatever is on my mind. I don't know if it'll be worth finishing but it was fun. If I finish it, I'll redo the table in the front. It looks like a giant heat sink to me right now. But it was fun all the same.

IMG_2160_zps9bf45fa4.jpg

IMG_2161_zpsd0199ad9.jpgIMG_2166_zps22cb4c71.jpg

I agree about the metal shelf being a heat sink, especially when working small stock. 

when I built mine, I sized the legs and the opening so the bottom of the front door was one firebrick off whatever surface the forge is sitting on, then I use firebricks for doors and a couple of bricks in front of the forge give a nice porch to lay work on and support long stock as well

post-182-0-52664200-1385609805_thumb.jpg

Mine has the same shelf but I mounted it so that a firebrick, lying flat, is just 1/8 inch below the forge floor. The bricks take the heat instead of the shelf. I also made my shelf the same width as two firebricks end to end. That provides a wide enough base to stack firebricks on top of the shelf and reduce the opening.

Dave

Hi Matt, and thank you for NOT asking how to safely cut you propane tank!..... :rolleyes: :D That subject has been hashed over ad nauseam.

I'd lose the table/plate and consider an attached adjustable/removeable prop for matieral made of light tubing and such. A note of caution.....I've seen more people burned moving or attempting adjust stands or props close to the fire than anything in the shop.....They get real hot but people (me once) seem to just reach out and grab em without thinking....bad day..... :(

post-15096-0-83567300-1385647877_thumb.j