I Forge Iron

Yet another HB

Yes.  And the top will be wicked hard, thus the chipping, but you probably already knew that.  Is the horn really crooked or is that the perspective of the photo?  Too lazy after a long day to get up and walk all the way over to the bookcase and look up the SN in AIA but if I recall that is a later serial number. 

Yes.  And the top will be wicked hard, thus the chipping, but you probably already knew that.  Is the horn really crooked or is that the perspective of the photo?  Too lazy after a long day to get up and walk all the way over to the bookcase and look up the SN in AIA but if I recall that is a later serial number. 

Lazy so n' so.... :P .....No rush, yes my chipping hammer hardly nicks it 2'' down from the top and boy does it ring! The top still has a slight crown across the face and aside from the chipping it's in very good condition.....It's the perspective, not a crooked horn........... B)

I read 154875 in the picture. That would be 1908 according to AIA and the first year the entire top half was a single piece of steel. I have always found it interesting how the anvil construction process evolved over time with the balace of cost of raw materials vs cost of labor.
Thanks for the pics. I keep my copy of AIA next to the couch!:)

I read 154875 in the picture. That would be 1908 according to AIA and the first year the entire top half was a single piece of steel. I have always found it interesting how the anvil construction process evolved over time with the balace of cost of raw materials vs cost of labor.

Yes, I'll bet the management and the workers were glad to be done with the process of forge welding on the face plate. Fewer failures and less time of manufacture, as simple as that............ B)