I Forge Iron

Drum forge questions

Wildernessmedic

I know galvanized once heated releases deadly toxic gas. I'm in Home Depot and the pipe is all galvanized. Can I use this? Will it all burn off , ie can I light it back away and let it burn off? What other pipe can I use?

Also why the xxxx is this so expensive. Everything days under 50-70 bucks total. I got the drum but just the undercarriage with fittings is nearly $80 without a blower or legs. Inflation? Every project I take on says it can be made for such and such price but always costs triple or more...

I can't address most of your questions as I avoid going to expensive stores as a general thing.

Did you try a Habbitat for Humanity re-store?  I purchased a section of stainless pipe at a local one for US$10.  For my stand I used a junked gas grill stand replacing the grill part with a metal plate---made a profit as the Al shell sold to the scrapyard for more than the piece of steel sheet cost at the scrapyard.

How about a demolition used materials seller?   Did you call places that install pipe for restaurants about used or drops?

For the blower did you ask a furnace repair place about the exhaust blowers used for high efficiency furnaces, used off the bone pile of course.

If you use galvanized and line it well then the shell shouldn't get up to vapourizing temps.

We once made 20+ gas forges using scrapped oxy cylinders from a place that did hydrotesting of such tanks---they gave them to us with the requirement that we cut the tanks up on-site!  And provided the OA to do so---we had to supply the torch.

My current forges are made using discarded He "party balloon" tanks.  My last one cost about US$2 for the entire forge save for the burner, hose and propane tank.

If you reread the blueprint on the 55 Forge it is made using auto exhaust. You should be able to find used exhaust pipe at any muffler shop. The same muffler shop can weld together a T for you, Just make sure the down part of the T where the ash goes is about a foot or longer below the T to hold the ash. Above the T should be 6 inches or so long and the branch can be a foot or longer. This gets the opening out from under the side of the forge.

If you want to use pipe, then galvanized can be removed by soaking it in vinegar overnight. As Thomas said, any plumbing supply store, or piping shop, or anywhere that uses pipe will be less expensive than the Box stores.

Coal/charcoal forge? line it with clay.  Fireclay is best, there are recipes online on the mix to use.  Me I used clay from a local creek.  Take a look at the Tim Lively wash tub forge  made from a galvanized wash tub lined with "adobe".

If you have money to burn, stores can provide instant gratification.  If you want to spend your spending money on other tools get used to thinking about:  What can I use, where can I find it used or discarded, what can I re-purpose? 

Also talk with people; when I was much younger, about 30 years ago, I was building a coal forge and needed some 2" pipe.  It was before re-store and I was not up on doing things cheap so I was at a plumbing supply place finding out I couldn't afford to buy it. But when I was explaining how I was planning to use it, a plumber standing at the counter next to me bought it and gave it to me to encourage my smithing!

Air supply pipe should not get hot enough to matter.  Blackpipe used for natural gas is preferred and they make fittings for it as well so even if you used galvanized pipe the fittings right at the forge pot can be non-galvanized---like 2 floor flanges and a nipple.

Coal/charcoal forge pot? line it with clay.  Fireclay is best, there are recipes online on the mix to use.  Me I used clay from a local creek.  Take a look at the Tim Lively wash tub forge  made from a galvanized wash tub lined with "adobe".

If you have money to burn, stores can provide instant gratification.  If you want to spend your spending money on other tools get used to thinking about:  What can I use, where can I find it used or discarded, what can I re-purpose? 

Also talk with people; when I was much younger, about 30 years ago, I was building a coal forge and needed some 2" pipe.  It was before re-store and I was not up on doing things cheap so I was at a plumbing supply place finding out I couldn't afford to buy it. But when I was explaining how I was planning to use it, a plumber standing at the counter next to me bought it and gave it to me to encourage my smithing!

do you weld? or know someone that does? getting a section of exhaust pipe from the auto parts store would be cheaper than using the heavy wall pipe from the big box store. Know any plumbers? They should be able to hook you up with the piping too. but the fittings will still cost you if you don't have access to a welder.

old BBQ's make great stands as mentioned above. and don't be  afraid to think out of the box. it doesn't have to be pretty, so long as it works for the job it's intended to do.

Bit late, but I'll toss it out for others that might have this issue in the future. Sprinkler guys are a possible source for black pipe and fittings, as are HVAC contractors who work with gas furnaces. If they don't have drops, chances are they can sell you partial lengths. They also usually have the tooling to cut and thread the pipe as well. Check their shops or any medium or large commercial site under construction.

Also many guys forget about regular plumbing supply houses. I'll grant you sometimes the counter guys aren't the nicest guys to deal with if you just walk off the street, but That's not always the case. They tend to treat you better if you know what you want and don't waste their time, especially if you walk in while they are busy, 1st thing in the morning, at lunch time or just before closing. Walk in when they are dead slow and often they'll be easier to deal with.

Because its easier and I'm impatient. I know. Contradictory to this hobby. And I'm not too good at finding stuff that works. Plus I can manage a weld but I suck. I didn't even know I couldn't weld my steel to my cast iron brake drum until I took it to a neighbors shop. Now I'm stuck. I bolted on the flange but the holes in the drum didn't get completely covered. Trying to find a way to patch them.

Also local Home Depot only had 1" iron pipe. Local plumbing supply only had wholesale stuff 20' plus. Time is money. Spending forever looking for something cheaper probably would have cost me more in gas and time. I've been keeping an eye out for these parts for over a year and finally just want it done.

Might be that you asked for the wrong thing at the plumbing supply. Rather than "pipe" if you asked for "nipples" ( short lengths of threaded pipe) they probably had them. "Nipples" up to 12" long are pretty standard. Most guys won't usually bother to thread stuff shorter than 6" to 8", as it won't fit in the threader easily, so they just buy the parts. Stuff over 12" is hit and miss. Some places do carry longer lengths, but diameter tends to be a factor in what they keep on hand. You are more likely to find longer nipples in smaller diameters.

As far as filling the bolt holes I'd have to see it to make a call. My 1st thought would be to simply clay the bottom and cover the holes. 2nd thought would be to weld a bit more to the flange to cover the rest of the hole. Last option I'd try to plug the hole with a chunk of bolt the right diameter and then spot weld the other side, almost like a rivet.

It is possible to weld cast iron. It's just not easy and the results can vary from good to impossible. Usually mechanical fasteners is a better way to go. Brazing is also an option, but I probably wouldn't choose if for anything on the inside of the pot.

drop a dome headed bolt in the excess bolt hole put a washer and nut on the bottom and git on down the road!

A telephone doesn't burn any gas; perhaps they will extend service out where you are soon---I have it in rural NM and make a lot of use of it as the "big city" is close to 100 miles away and so I don't want to make a trip till I know it will be a successful trip.

You guys don't use gas powered Telly's? Fancy. But if its not gas powered how can you take it out near the cement pond?

I don't think I asked for the wrong thing. Well maybe I did but I explained to the guy what I needed and he said sorry we can't sell any pieces that short. 20+ ft only.

I don't know why I didn't think of that. I can just weld to the flange to cover them that's not cast iron... Thanks!

Also local Home Depot only had 1" iron pipe. Local plumbing supply only had wholesale stuff 20' plus. Time is money. Spending forever looking for something cheaper probably would have cost me more in gas and time. I've been keeping an eye out for these parts for over a year and finally just want it done.

I'm a little late on this and maybe I'm miss reading, but 1" pipe? for your air supply?? That's kinda small IMHO. I don't run solid fuel but have an old coal forge I'm setting up and the tuyere on it is a good 3". Most of the set ups I have worked with have at least 2". If I am missing something, forgive my ignorance ;)