I Forge Iron

cold shunt dilema

tbrforge

I've got 200+ leaves to make for a project. using 5/8 dia round. I am experiencing cold shunts on the drawn tips that I don't see on my smaller points. I don't want to resort to rasping each point. I am working the steel at a high yellow and not past a low orange. I keep thinking it is a technique issue. It is too easy to blame the material. anyone like to edumacate me as to the problem?:confused:

When I use round stock for leaves I always form a pyramid on the section that will be the leaf--short for rounded leaves--a little longer for more tapered ones. The tip is tapered down to a point on the top end and both sides. The pyramid is fullered over the far edge of the anvil on both sides and the top at a distance a little shorter than what the leaf length will be. I start the flatening hitting the top of the pyramid first with the flat of the hammer and draw out by using the cross pien almost straight across for a long leaf or at about a 45 angle toward the wide end of the leaf working both sides to keep it even on the stem for a fatter leaf. I've made curved end chisels for the veins and use a wide chisel for the center vein. I use both chisels with the leaf clamped in the vise. For rose leaves I make the small cuts in the edge--take a heat and on the horn lightly work the edge to soften the chisel effect. Most folks will have a technique that works best for them. I've tried the folded leaves that take more time and make beautiful leaves after practice but I make a lot and what I've described is "my way". I hope it helps.