I Forge Iron

Favorite or Most use Treadle Hammer tool

Recently finished Treadle Hammer(Clay Spencer type in line) wondering what your favorite tool or most used tool for the Treadle Hammer. Made a  hot cut, have quite a few tools to use on the anvil but they seldom work good in a Treadle Hammer.. Our most of your tools handheld?? Or do you have them in the "hardy cut out"in the Treadle Hammer?? And I realize a lot of tooling depends  what type of forging you doing. Pictures if you got  them?

Greetings Bob,

Favorite...  Now that's a loaded question....   I guess the 1/2 moon flatter...  I have a whole bunch of  trick tools .. I guess it depends on what you want to do..

I like making tools that interchange with my flypress...   I will include a few pictures of a hammer head fixture that I use for small forge welding and items that require a concentrated blow...   What do you want to make and I probably have a tool that can help..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

post-30666-0-77391100-1383777056_thumb.j         post-30666-0-04874100-1383777118_thumb.j         post-30666-0-59237900-1383777171_thumb.j

Since I typically work alone, I built my treadle hammer to more or less approximate using conventional top tools with a striker and a sledge. The TH anvil has the same size hardy hole as my shop anvil so I can use bottom tools but in common use, I have a flat plate on top most of the time.