I Forge Iron

is 70cfm enough for 2 burners? Or to much?

Fe-Wood

I'm upgrading my atmospheric forge to a blower. I'll be plugging into 1 3/4" ID pipe sockets on the forge. I can make the flame holder that I already use bigger than the 1" burner pipe if need be. The blower I'm considering is rated at 70CFM unrestricted with a 2 1/8" outlet. I'm wondering what would be a good size pipe to use for the burner tubes. The forge body in the picture is the one getting the upgrade. Its 12" diameter with 2" of kaowool all around and fire brick floor.

Thanks for any guidance!

post-6253-0-58318100-1383007621_thumb.jp

I have a 70 cfm blower running two 3/4" burners in an old Sandia forge box on about 4 lbs of LPG. It will occasionally get to welding temps but not always. If I increase the fuel pressure, it simply burns outside the forge. With that said, I think a little more air would be useful - maybe 150 cfm and the ability to gate the blast so the temps can be controlled.

I've seen on the blacksmith supplier's websites a blower that has 112 cfm's.  That might be a middle of the road for you. I have a mankel three burner forge with the original blower and find it under powered for reaching welding temps.  I am going to change to the 112 cfm's.  Good luck and let us know what you went with and how that worked out.    

Thanks guys! I guess I'd better find more air! Hwooldridge, whats your elevation? I'm at about 2000 ft. If you are closer to sea level than 70 cfm will definitely not work for me. Thanks again-

I'm at 800 feet of elevation so yes, you are correct that 70 cfm won't be enough.