I Forge Iron

Old Post Vise Help

Galley Greene

This is my first post vise. I gave 50 bucks for it down in Canton, TX. I have done quite a bit of research, but still need some help. I know it is missing the thrust washer for the front jaw, but the third and fourth picture is what the previous owner put in the thrust washers place?and of course the spring and the wedge for the mounting bracket. The mounting bracket has square headed nuts and bolts, which tells me there is a little age there? The pin that goes in the bottom for the jaws to move on is not a square headed nut and bolt like I've seen, it is a pin with a small slot in it? The screw threads seem to be in good shape, but maybe a small section broken off in the back. The screwbox had the thrust washer welded to it? Can someone give me any info on it? 

post-34626-0-38480400-1382924012_thumb.j

post-34626-0-19820200-1382924075_thumb.j

post-34626-0-48369700-1382924079_thumb.j

post-34626-0-03187500-1382924084_thumb.j

post-34626-0-48030600-1382924088_thumb.j

post-34626-0-52284500-1382924092_thumb.j

post-34626-0-98977600-1382924096_thumb.j

post-34626-0-18205800-1382924101_thumb.j

Greetings Galley,

Looks like you got the makings of a vise...    The nut box crack at that point could be NI welded with no problem...   The lower pin could be original .. Looks serviceable ..   You can forge out a front thrust washer to match the taper in the screw from a thick ring...   Make up a new spring from an old small trailer spring..   Not to hard to do....   I don't understand what the component that looks like and old axle flange does..    In general with a little work you will have a serviceable vise...    Good Luck        Oh you will need to forge a taper wedge to mount... 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Thanks Jim and this thing will be put to work for sure! And MLMartin sorry I should have added that, I cut that apart already., but do you know why it would have been I welded at all? The screw box has a key on the top of it and the washer has a keyway cut in it but there is a gap between the two.

post-34626-0-72761800-1382931477_thumb.j

post-34626-0-96640300-1382931562_thumb.j

The "thrust washer" is actually two pipe flanges welded together, back to back.  Amazing bit of "engineering" there!

I'm seeing some serious wear on the male threads at the last inch.

Making the spring is just a matter of cold-bending a piece of mild steel.  It doesn't have to be forged.  You could do the same for the wedge key to hold the vise to the mounting bracket.  Both are very easy shop projects, forged or not.

"  I'm seeing some serious wear on the male threads at the last inch."

That wear is probably from not having the proper washers in place,thus allowing the screw to rub on the opening in the front leg. I don't think it will affect the working of the vise as chances are that even when the vise is fully closed those threads wont even enter the thread box.

• 3 months later...
Posted · Hidden by jeremy k, February 9, 2014 - spam
Hidden by jeremy k, February 9, 2014 - spam

[yvpxzu] Online РобоКоп смотреть онлайн в хорошем качестве полный фильм ofrwoo

bit.ly/1jnqE1r][yvpxzu] Online РобоКоп смотреть онлайн в хорошем качестве полный фильм ofrwoo
bit.ly/1jnqE1rst.datapic.ru/img/14-01/11/x7AyJUlSMjgkwzCjWhVW8PamU.jpgbit.ly/1jnqE1rПосмотреть%20фильм%20онлайн%20можно%20на%20сайте%20---]ly/1jnqE1rПосмотреть фильм онлайн можно на сайте --->>> bit.ly/1jnqE1r]bit.ly/1jnqE1rПосмотреть фильм онлайн можно на сайте --->>> bit.ly/1jnqE1rbit.ly/1jnqE1r

необходимпропагандгосударстве.
доведенныполногперсонажиВсчтдействоперукаразуму.
эт50-хневольнвложенногнвыставлеракурсозатратаммыльну

РобоКоп смотреть HD

РобоКоп смотреть онлайн в хорошем качестве (Перевод: Русский)

РобоКоп онлайн смотреть Фильм

РобоКоп полный фильм режиссерская

РобоКоп смотреть фильм онлайн

РобоКоп смотреть онлайн фильм в хорошем качестве без регистрации

РобоКоп смотреть фильм

РобоКоп фильм smotret online 2014

РобоКоп смотреть онлайн HD

РобоКоп вонлайне смотреть

РобоКоп смотреть полностью

РобоКоп смотреть онлайн

РобоКоп премьера 2014 онлайн

РобоКоп смотреть онлайн фильм в хорошем качестве торрент

РобоКоп смотреть онлайн HD

РобоКоп смотреть онлайн

РобоКоп Новинки кино 2014

РобоКоп смотреть онлайн HDRip

РобоКоп смотреть онлайн без регистрации

РобоКоп смотреть фильм

РобоКоп смотреть онлайн в хорошем качестве (Elektri4ka)

РобоКоп премьера 2014 онлайн

РобоКоп смотреть онлайн в хорошем качестве HD 720p

РобоКоп смотреть онлайн фильм в хорошем качестве без регистрации