I Forge Iron

what year

We need pictures.

I'll give you $100 right now, sight unseen, and cover shipping.  

$2/lb is a nice medium price average, but it depends on the quality of the anvil, the quality of the photographs in the advertisement and the number of smiths interested.  While we might all like $10/lb for the piece, if there aren't any interested smiths around you, you're stuck.

Larger anvils are had to sell simple because a lot of experienced, working smiths already have 250# anvils and a lot of new "hobby" smiths don't want to invest $500 or more in the cost of an anvil.  They might only be in the game for a week or month or year, and five bills is a lot of money to tie up on a lump of iron.  Factor in the cost of shipping and you're looking at almost a grand just in one tool when a piece of mild steel from the scrap yard will do most all of the same stuff.

All that said, my offer stands.

From what I could tell from the pictures:

1. Excellent shape, almost unused.  Pristeen!

2. From the "date" stamp, and the light eagle, I would date your anvil from the 1920's - 1930's.

3. "From my personal point of view, that anvil is almost too good to pound on".  My perspective as the Fisher Museum Curator.

Your location will also determine a value, as shipping must be factored in.  But I am sure that any and all smiths and collectors would be honored to own that anvil, whether for use or display.

That is one gorgeous anvil!  I don't know what I'd do with something that wonderful, but I'd sure be cautious when working on it just so I wouldn't be the first one to chip an edge!

Don't know where you are, but geographical location has a lot to do with anvil values.  Like I said earlier, the price you get will be determined by who's looking at it and how much shipping might cost them.  If you live in an anvil-poor area, you might get a lot of interest, but nobody that wants to shell out $600 plus shipping.  If you live in an anvil-rich area, you might get a lot of interest, but everybody's waiting on a less-pristine anvil that's a c-note cheaper.

Thanks all fer the replies I live in st joe mo I have never used it myself I've had it bout 15 yrs found it in an old house my grand parents bought and put it in my garage I still use my concrete floor fer poundin I think I'll deal with the chips in my concrete rather than beat on this thing when I do sell it I will let I forge iron know first of all I dont know of any smiths round here.