I Forge Iron

Are these tanks okay to buy?

Prokopto

Hi folks, simple question to all the vets out there... Are these oxy acetylene bottles clear to own and have re-certified and filled? I think they were last certified in '03 and I am not sure about the MGI. I hope that does not mean they are rental tanks.

The Acetylene tank is around 8" in diameter and around 33" tall to the center of the valve. Oxy tank is about 4 feet tall.

post-14234-0-09553000-1382044177_thumb.j

post-14234-0-03625200-1382044182_thumb.j

post-14234-0-69837800-1382044186_thumb.j

post-14234-0-55902300-1382044192_thumb.j

post-14234-0-11107200-1382044200_thumb.j

post-14234-0-51676100-1382044206_thumb.j

Size wise they look like what are typically considered "owner" cylinders, so they should be exchangeable with no issues. Acet was tested in 03, the O2 cylinder was tested in October of 01 and had a 10 year test. The acetylene looks to be roughly what my 75 cf one is, and I'd guess the O2 is around the 100 cf size.

MGI around here is Messer Gas Industries. "Small" cylinders like these sometimes have blank neck rings, some times are marked "Owner" and some times have the gas company name on them. Typically when they hydro the cylinders a gas company often recollars any ones they have that might have another companies name on them.  It's more advertizing than anything else as almost all companies sell rather than rent small cylinders.

If in doubt, one option is to agree to meet the seller at a chosen supplier. The deal is if they will swap them for full ones no problem, you will pay for the fills and buy the cylinders. That tells you that you can at least get them exchanged at that supplier if nothing else and you start off with good cylinders full of gas. Some guys are willing to just look at the cylinders and will be up front about if they will exchange them without actually doing the exchange. However I've run into any number of counter guys who are jerks to put it politely and won't give you the time of day, or who try to tell you you need to pay for stuff you really don't need to if they think they can snow you and put some cash in their pocket I'm sad to say.

I know my guy would take them and exchange them no problem. Chances are he wouldn't even bother to look at the hydro dates and wouldn't charge me the $15-20 hydro charge. That said, I make a point of being on a 1st name basis with him even if I don't do a ton of business with them. I also have an account ( ever though it's a cash account) and I take him a card at Christmas with a $20 bill in there and tell him to pick up lunch on me. Little things like that go a long ways when I need small things taken care of.

Tractor Supply had some issues in the past about taking cylinders from other companies in trade when they shouldn't have. The ones near me won't take anything but their own stuff in exchange any more even if you can prove ownership. I think it had something to do with the settlement of the lawsuit brought against them. You'd have to check with them. I'm also not sure how well received the Thoroughbred cylinders are at most local welding suppliers after that. I'd check with the LWS to see what their policy is 1st. TSC is quite a haul for me, so I really don't bother with them for gas. My LWS is only a few miles down the road and I've got 2 other places within a few miles that I could go to ( Airgas and one independent) if I really needed to.

I would recommend shopping around for gas prices as prices can vary widely, even from the same supplier. I was lucky that when I set up my account, the counter guy was really cool and set me up with the same commercial prices the shop I was working at was getting. I know some guys who use other locations often get banged for more money on fills than I do even for the same size cylinder. Some times it can pay to open an account as they often will give account holders a better "deal" on gas prices. ( I know I get an extra 5% off on paint with my supplier because I have a "commercial" account. All that usually means is they ran your credit and put you in the system. I haven't ever even bothered to change my account to my business name.

One note on gas prices. It's almost always cheaper to buy in "bulk". I can get my 282cf O2 cylinder filled for about $5 more than it costs me to get my little 100 cf cylinder filled. A big portion of the price is tied up in transport charges, hazmat fees, testing and so on. Those "fees" don't usually change whether it's a tiny 20 cf cylinder or a 330 cf one. They don't break down the costs that way on the invoice, but that's often why more gas isn't all that much more money.

One other nice thing about having an account. Should you find yourself with a rental or leased cylinder for some reason... Most places won't bat an eye at exchanging it for a similar gas IF you have an account, even if you don't have  that cylinder listed as being rented. I used to get hassled when I'd borrow a large cylinder from a buddy of mine for bigger jobs. I'd want to take it back full since he was nice enough to let me borrow it. It was a real pain to get the counter guy to do an exchange on occasion, but ever sine I got my account with the same company, they don't ever ask any questions. As long as I have an account with them and a cylinder with their tag, they exchange it no questions asked.