I Forge Iron

Dogwood axe hadle

I had been  really bad  user and i think i abuse this axe a lo's of time with using it like hammer and in originaly this axe should have claw right above poll but it turned how it turn now i had make new handle for it it have a litle split on axe butt but  its from claw that used to be at axe shouder hand here are photos. Here is picture how its should look when its new. And here si mine . I wonder myself how they could forge this claws. This is Bosnian style axe that used for carpenter and mason job. Mason use this axe when it's needed moulding, to pull nails with this claws, but you can pul nails using this hole where blade si located but this key  hole is ussualy for hanging axe. Sorry for bad english.DSC00282.jpg

Here is mine under  this axe,

post-42120-0-75407400-1381790478_thumb.j

post-42120-0-99372900-1381790489_thumb.j

post-42120-0-18678400-1381790501_thumb.j

post-42120-0-30481800-1381790541_thumb.j

I think he's asking how to forge it.
I see 3 ways of going about forging the axe.
1. Forge the claw on a 1x2" bar, slot punch, drift and finish the blad and claw.
2. forge a 1/2x3" bar,fuller and leave a 1x1/2 strip down the middle, draw out the to sides and the claw, fold the sides and weld. Finish forging about he blade and claw.
3. Take a 1/4x2" bar, forge weld a 1/4x1x3" bar down the middle. Fold over and weld the to halves together and finish the claw and blade.
I see pros and cons to all three, I think #3 is more likely, as you could use mild steel for the body, and medium for the back/claw and blade.
I'm hopeing some one more experienced will will tell me I'm wrong and have a slick method of doing it.

Welcome, Natkova!

I like your ax and also the pattern that you sort-of-followed.

Don't worry about your English, we understood you just fine.

I have never seen an ax with a claw or the shaped hole in the blade that could be used to pull nails. Good ideas, both.

We LOVE pics here :)

Dave

I thought he asked how to forge the claws,,not the axe head itself....

I asked bouth question.Its really hard to me understand when thay shape all head and than somehow this claws peeking.Not it is not welded  by welded i mean (its not used electrodes migt it's forge welded i dont know)  ..because its the there is no weld located my another opinion might this was thick place and than they just flatten it.

The most common method for the last hundred years or so has been to take piece of stock about 1/4" (75 mm) and fold it around a mandrel and then forger weld it. With yout axe we have a thick pole, so we would normaly start out with a thicker piece of steal, say 1/2" (1.25 c) drawing down the " cheaks" then folding it in half and forge welding. In the case of your axe we have the added element of the claw. This can either be drawn out of the parent stock or forge welded to it. Depending on cost and availability of medium carbon steel it may have been forge welded to the pole. That and a welded bit would give you a harder hammer face (the pole) a blade that held its edge better and a claw that was stiffer.if as today, medium carbon and low carbon steels are reddy available and nearly the same price, one would just forge it from one piece. Excepting the labor of drawing down by hand.