I Forge Iron

Proper single phase motor for 150#Bradley Strap Hammer

I need to get my 150# Bradley Strap Hammer running before the snow falls here in Michigan.

I only have single phase capability where I live out in the country.  Any Bradley owners that

could point me to the right HP and rpm and the best way to set it up would make my day.

I always turn to IFI for good advice and the fellowship of like minded individuals.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Randolph

If you don't have three phase power or the three motor for the hammer. You could look for a 5HP compressor motor in single phase. If you do have a three phase motor with the hammer a phase converter or rotophase off ebay like Stuart has suggested will probably be your best bet.

I have 3 Bradley's, and you will need a 7 1/2 hp to run that hammer like it should be run.  I have a 125 just like your 150.  It takes all of a 6 hp 950 rpm. You can but a 7 1/2 horse  low rpm motor   but they are expensive.  If you go that route you will need some heavy wiring as well.   I built a 15 hp phase converter 20 years ago and run several machine off of it.

Good Morning,

Thank you to all who have replied to my post.  The original motor that was included with the purchase

is a 7 1/2 hp.  3 phase.  It is in rough shape, but, I'll have it tested and if ok will try the converter before

looking for a single phase.  Your replies are much appreciated.

DR

The old mechanicals ran wicked fast, there is a ton of original factory literature calling out fairly rapid blows per minute.  That being said most literature for 150# hammers suggests around 250 BPM.  The 25 pounders were usually made to run at 350-400 bpm.  

Note that static phase converters only deliver 2/3 of the driven motor's horse power.  Rotary converters deliver full HP but you need to do a little research into starting versus running loads.

I've seen a lot of guys with underperforming mechanical hammers, if they are mechanically sound then the usual culprit is low speed and lack of a brake.  

These hammers were made for production shop. Often set up to make 1 part. The bean counters in the front office wanted  as many parts in a day as they could get. A lot of Bradleys were set up with closed dies that could hold very close tolerance's.  Bradley played to the market, fast hammers made lots of parts quick.  I run my 125# at 325 bpm full tilt.   It will keep a billet hot a long time if I can manage the speed.