I Forge Iron

WIP First Sword

BenF

How much does it weigh?  Is the grip at a vibration node?  How much distal taper does it have?

These are often what makes the difference between a sword and a SLO. 

(I believe you have already gotten a good tang and refrained from putting in a sharp transition from the blade to the tang)

There are bladesmiths in the UK who could have helped you with heat treat, I've even dug a trench forge in the garden before and used a lot of used fry oil to quench in, warmed of course!

Good job, the first ones always a huge step!  and nothing wrong with it being a wall hanger... years from now you'll look at it and see how far you've came!

My suggestion to you if you wanna make more is start keeping records! everything from the steel you use, to weight, blance points. what you like or dont like... what you eat the morning of HT... :P     You've already seen how much time you invest into these blades, it's good to try not to make the same mistakes twice

I'm intrested in what you choose of the pommel

You jumped right in the deep end and swam. Well done, for a wall hanger that is excelent and I think that if you had been able to HT it it would of made a more than just functional sword. If this is what you are doing now in a few years you could be up there with the big names if you keep at it.

Hello,

thank you for all your comments.

@ThomasPowers

It currently weighs in around the 613 gram mark; without the pommel. I have tried to locate a vibration node and I think one is towards to top end of the grip; but I'm not certain of that. I just measured the distal taper and its just over 3mm. I did think about that, but I think the only local swordsmith sends his stuff off for HT. But I'm only planning knives for the near future as they shouldn't take as much time as this project.

@Lenaghan

Thank you, I think I will take your advice on that. I imagine it will be interesting to look back everything I've done in years to come :) (and eaten) :P

@2Time215

Thank you for the kind words, though I very much doubt that!! Maybe with a couple of centuries practice :P